Chute Clinic Canceled

Chris Toomey

Feb 27, 2023, 12:13:18 PM2/27/23
to RAF

Due to lack of interest, we are cancelling the chute clinic for this Saturday 3/4. We can reassess next year, and if there is interest, plan something then. It is important to inspect and repack your chute at least yearly. I encourage you to talk to Joe Guinta about having that done.

Chris
Sent from my iPad

John OHearn

Feb 28, 2023, 2:04:01 PM2/28/23
to RochesterAreaFlyers
Wow, kinda hard to believe. Does everyone send them in now?  It was always a big gathering, to excite about the flying, for the year ahead, AND get your chute packed.
At my age, I am starting to question the need for a reserve, at all. But, I was going to be there if possible.
I just really hope this isn't a sign of the degradation of the RAF.

Rick Brown

Feb 28, 2023, 3:25:00 PM2/28/23
to rochester...@googlegroups.com
John,

I think it is a combination of procrastination and apathy. There
were most likely people who intended to go but did not respond, making
it hard to plan and justify the expense, and after you have done it
ten or twenty times and have never had to throw your chute in twenty
years you question the necessity. I think the new pilots should attend
one ASAP so they know the routine and I have only practiced with a PG
harness once so I probably should too.
> --
> ***Be sure to check the Group Calendar often!***
> http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=rochesterareaflyers%40gmail.com&ctz=America/New_York
>
> ***Bristol Mtn Weather & Webcam***
> - https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KNYNAPLE32
> - https://www.bristolmountain.com/webcam/
>
> You received this because you are subscribed to "RochesterAreaFlyers"
> To post to this group, send email to:
> rochester...@googlegroups.com
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to:
> rochesterareafl...@googlegroups.com
> For more options, visit this group at:
> http://groups.google.com/group/rochesterareaflyers?hl=en
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RochesterAreaFlyers" group.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rochesterareaflyers/9ba7d72f-4b6e-4790-8dcd-da1d70975971n%40googlegroups.com.

Jim Black

Feb 28, 2023, 3:35:56 PM2/28/23
to rochester...@googlegroups.com
My only thought was that there were probably many people (like me!) that were planning to attend but didn't RSVP (e.g., skimmed the email, didn't think it mattered). I'm not sure that I ever RSVP's in the past.

In the future we might want to send out a series of  - LAST CHANCE TO REGISTER FOR THE CHUTE CLINIC!  (emails & reminders).

Jim

--
Dr. Jim Black
He/Him/His

John OHearn

Feb 28, 2023, 10:59:55 PM2/28/23
to RochesterAreaFlyers
Hope it didn't sound like I was complaining. Hell, you guys do all the work. Chris, Rick, Jim... You guys are on the front lines.
I started coming to this club 25 years ago, because it was the same distance as Rutland for me, but the people made the difference.
As my flying career seems to be winding down, it is apparent that what we are really lacking is youth. There isn't enough young people
replacing us old farts. Those people eager for another sledder...Their energy wouldn't have let this happen. That was when it was
as much of a social event as a chute repack.
On a brighter note... I was glad to discover that Jim is a year older than me (in non flying years)

Moritz Wagner

Mar 1, 2023, 3:54:36 PM3/1/23
to rochester...@googlegroups.com
Thanks John for your kind words. It is definitely a battle to attract new folks to the sport. I still think eventually people will realize that the real thing is so much better than all this virtual reality stuff, games, and social media. I am clearly overgeneralizing, and a lot of people juggle many demands on their time. So I guess it’s up to us to show them how wonderful the sport is.
Hope to see you on the hill soon!
Cheers,
Moritz