Harris Hill Tuesday

James Kolynich

Aug 1, 2022, 9:21:55 PM8/1/22
to RochesterAreaFlyers
Lee Morris and Bill Umstadt are in town and want to fly
Harris Hill tomorrow.

James Kolynich

Aug 2, 2022, 10:49:30 AM8/2/22
to RochesterAreaFlyers
Flying placed on hold for today due to vehicle problems.

Bill Vickery

Aug 2, 2022, 1:10:24 PM8/2/22
to RAF
Later in the day may have been more promising  anyway.  If anybody else is interested, my arm might twist.

--
***Be sure to check the Group Calendar often!***
http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=rochesterareaflyers%40gmail.com&ctz=America/New_York

***Bristol Mtn Weather & Webcam***
- https://www.ecowitt.net/home/index?id=92617
- https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KNYNAPLE32
- https://www.bristolmountain.com/webcam/

You received this because you are subscribed to "RochesterAreaFlyers"
To post to this group, send email to:
rochester...@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to:
rochesterareafl...@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at:
http://groups.google.com/group/rochesterareaflyers?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RochesterAreaFlyers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rochesterareaflyers/40b5a3fb-a027-4e40-ba10-7cb60591693an%40googlegroups.com.

Wings-Aron Lantz

Aug 2, 2022, 2:01:54 PM8/2/22
to RAF, 'chris toomey' via Upstate NY Free Flyers
My arm could be twisted...

If we were going, I'd have to load up soon and get on the road by like 2:30 to get there by 4.

Aron

James Fardette

Aug 2, 2022, 2:26:55 PM8/2/22
to 'Wings-Aron Lantz' via Upstate NY Free Flyers, RAF, Wings-Aron Lantz
I’m willing to give it a look. ETA 4:30 to 5:00.
Jim

Aug 2, 2022, 2:30:00 PM8/2/22
to RAF, 'Wings-Aron Lantz' via Upstate NY Free Flyers
Ok Jim, ill be there around 4:30.

Bill I hope you are checking your email...

Aron

Bill Vickery

Aug 2, 2022, 2:53:24 PM8/2/22
to Wings-Aron Lantz, RAF, 'Wings-Aron Lantz' via Upstate NY Free Flyers
Copy.  Ill get there earlier @4
I have 40 sticks to put in my wing.

Wings-Aron Lantz

Aug 2, 2022, 3:03:12 PM8/2/22
to James Fardette, 'Wings-Aron Lantz' via Upstate NY Free Flyers, RAF
Jim K is coming also.

A crowd of flyers is forming!

Aron

Bill Vickery

Aug 3, 2022, 10:51:22 AM8/3/22
to Wings-Aron Lantz, James Fardette, 'Wings-Aron Lantz' via Upstate NY Free Flyers, RAF
"The night was dark, the sky was blue;
Around the corner, the shit wagon flew"  Who else remembers the rest of this childhood ditty?

It was DARK indeed by the time Aron, JK, & BV departed the LZ at 9:15.  When retrieving vehicles, the lights and sounds from a Tags concert were observed, which some visiting pilots attended.   It was too strong for them earlier, but yet another fantastic day for the sailplanes.
When we arrived, it was due west- high teens, gusts low 20s, and becoming predominantly BLUE.  Jim F wisely cut his losses, sensing it wouldnt be PGable until sunset.  Hot dry hang waiting ensued, reminiscent of a few days before.  Thinking I was perhaps waiting too long again, I went to the slot in a lull, but "pulled out" sensing too much SHIT potential and the LZ was worrisome.  Aron later did the same.  Funny how you interpret things different in the window once you have a glider on your shoulders.
Then, in short order, the west cross became a somewhat north cross.
Once the high wind take off guy, I was glad when Aron led the way showing it was A ok.  I was next and
JK managed self launching a bit later.  He got something like a half hour/400', and Aron and I each got an hour, with 1000' and 1300'.  I was golden on top of the ridge wave pretty much the whole flight.

Nice evening landing conditions flowed down the keyway through the intimidating corn.  JK had a neat approach.   As with wonderwinds, there is an 88% chance of a video coming soon 😀  The sun was setting as we began pulling battons and telling out tales.

Thank you Aron for twisting our arms!

James Kolynich

Aug 3, 2022, 11:14:22 AM8/3/22
to Bill Vickery, Wings-Aron Lantz, James Fardette, 'Wings-Aron Lantz' via Upstate NY Free Flyers, RAF
Entertaining write up Bill!

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Upstate NY Free Flyers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/upstate-ny-free-flyers/CAL%3DcMbF2QBtjNU57eH59Jw%2BzNBSxoVr2SBkO891VMT5U%3DbsX%3Dg%40mail.gmail.com.

James Fardette

Aug 3, 2022, 2:03:34 PM8/3/22
to Bill Vickery, Wings-Aron Lantz, 'Wings-Aron Lantz' via Upstate NY Free Flyers, RAF
So what were the wind speeds when you guys launched?  I had dinner and saw 2 gliders in the air as I was on my way home.  Maybe I wasn’t patient enough?

Aug 3, 2022, 5:29:53 PM8/3/22
to RochesterAreaFlyers
Wind seemed to decrease to about 12 mph at 1915 when I launched.

Bill Vickery

Aug 3, 2022, 7:13:00 PM8/3/22
to RAF
The rest of the ditty for those of you on the edge of your seat:

"A wheel came off - a crash was heard - a man was killed by a flying turd"