Dansville Tomorrow

Robert Skinner

Mar 15, 2023, 1:26:49 PM3/15/23
to Rochester Area Flyers
Bob,

I can do Dansville tomorrow.
Would prefer to do early ( maybe 9a ? )

--

Rob

Robert Slebodnik

Mar 15, 2023, 2:06:39 PM3/15/23
to Rochester Area Flyers
I could get there by 10 am, but the gusts don't decrease to a good level until about 3 pm. 3 pm -5 pm looks like the best window.
Base wind direction gets good by 10 am.
NAM is forecasting gusts in the 20s until 3 pm, though HRRR  (probably the best for short-term local forecasts) shows high gusts only between 12 noon and 2 pm.
GFS forecasts high gusts all day.
ECMWF forecasts manageable gusts all day.
Any chance you could do later in the afternoon, or are you limited to the morning?

--
***Be sure to check the Group Calendar often!***
http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=rochesterareaflyers%40gmail.com&ctz=America/New_York

***Bristol Mtn Weather & Webcam***
- https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KNYNAPLE32
- https://www.bristolmountain.com/webcam/

You received this because you are subscribed to "RochesterAreaFlyers"
To post to this group, send email to:
rochester...@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to:
rochesterareafl...@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at:
http://groups.google.com/group/rochesterareaflyers?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RochesterAreaFlyers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rochesterareaflyers/CANaMmCi1TUA%3DCO-D%3DhyYMjeUrQpwMnrGx6zeHo-CfekJuSAd%2BQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Robert Skinner

Mar 15, 2023, 2:12:44 PM3/15/23
to rochester...@googlegroups.com
The gusts will calm down when mother nature wants them to, not when the weaterhman wants them to .
Unfortunately it looks like the D'ville weather station is offline as of Noon today.
We can look at the Bristol Station and hope D'vill is the same.
Lets look again at 9a tomorrow and make the call then.
I can do later in the afternoon if that's prime flying too.

Rob

--

Rob

Robert Slebodnik

Mar 15, 2023, 2:22:45 PM3/15/23
to rochester...@googlegroups.com
Rob,
Right, we'll have to see how the actual conditions look in the morning.
I'll check in with you tomorrow morning.  I get out of an appointment by 9 am or so and can leave by about 9:15 if that's the best time to go.
Is anyone else interested in Dansville?
Best wishes,
Bob S.

pumpkinfarmer7

Mar 15, 2023, 2:45:27 PM3/15/23
to rochester...@googlegroups.com
question: I live in the north country which is flat an dmf farm has over 120 acres grassland. I want to use a self tow motor to do training.

Has anyone had experience with self to paraglider winches an their use?

Thank you

Romano Almonte

Mar 15, 2023, 7:34:55 PM3/15/23
to rochester...@googlegroups.com
Phil would be the best person to consult for self towing. He self tows himself regularly in Long Island NY when he's not flying his PPG or it's not ridge soarable at Rocky Point.  He uses an electric winch with a remote.

matthew conrad

Mar 15, 2023, 9:56:11 PM3/15/23
to rochester...@googlegroups.com
Get a Paramotor for flatlands.
Come to Dansville when too windy.
lol

Matthew Conrad

pumpkinfarmer7

Mar 15, 2023, 9:56:29 PM3/15/23
to rochester...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much. I will reach out to Phil. What is his contact email address please.

This made my night!

Romano Almonte

Mar 15, 2023, 10:00:42 PM3/15/23
to rochester...@googlegroups.com

pumpkinfarmer7

Mar 15, 2023, 10:00:45 PM3/15/23
to rochester...@googlegroups.com
I will probably get a powered paraglider.

I want to learn hot to fly a simply paraglider first and gain some piloting skills.

My wife and I stayed at an air bnb in Dansville and drove up the mountains at sunset and found a great place to fly.

This was before I became committed to learning how to paraglide.  Now I discovered Dansville is an actual paragliding launch site. pretty cool.

Thank you for responding to my questions.

Have a great evening!

Romano Almonte

Mar 15, 2023, 10:05:50 PM3/15/23
to rochester...@googlegroups.com
By the way, Phil is the local distributor for the SP140 (an electric paramotor). It doesn't have the range of a gas powered engine, but I think electric is much less maintenance and more reliable (I've had a lot of headaches with a gas powered hang gliding harness).