Koch style two stage release

Chris Toomey

May 18, 2022, 7:09:54 PM5/18/22
to rochester...@googlegroups.com

For those that may be interested……I am purchasing one of these releases. They are being made in Connecticut. Price is $218.00 , the manufacturer covers the tax and shipping. I think it is a pretty fair deal considering nobody is manufacturing them anymore, and used ones are nonexistent. I’ll report back when I receive it. I know Ramano Almonte has one and has used it. Chris

STR info#2.docx

John Troy

May 25, 2022, 7:20:45 PM5/25/22
to rochester...@googlegroups.com
I purchased one last year; it’s very sturdy construction and have only used it once during a tow day back in October at padgham.

I did have a consistent problem with it self-releasing when I would get about 50ft AGL. I think the issue I’m having is the towline slides down the post and trips the lever once a certain angle of attack is met with relation to the glider and the towline  trailer pulling point.  I did maybe 6 tow attempts but was unable to ever get past 50ft or so. I need to do a little more testing with it though because it was the first time I towed with the freedom 170 and was experiencing excessive yaw from right to left every time I towed as well. The oscillation may have been enough to force this occurrence. I’ve heard that they have this issue and may be common from other pilots that have towed with them.

There could be a number of things causing this including “operator error” and am not saying anything negative about the product but rather just sharing my experience.

--
***Be sure to check the Group Calendar often!***

You received this because you are subscribed to "RochesterAreaFlyers"
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RochesterAreaFlyers" group.

Sent from my iPad

--
***Be sure to check the Group Calendar often!***

http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=rochesterareaflyers%40gmail.com&ctz=America/New_York

You received this because you are subscribed to "RochesterAreaFlyers"
For more options, visit this group at:
http://groups.google.com/group/rochesterareaflyers?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RochesterAreaFlyers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rochesterareaflyers/1B85A53A-7C73-4325-8C5A-46D4234DC343%40yahoo.com.

Romano Almonte

May 25, 2022, 10:09:44 PM5/25/22
to rochester...@googlegroups.com
You should use a fin on that Freedom 170 when towing with it.
You can order a fin from Kamron Blevins (North Wing) made specifically for the stinger on the Freedom.  (see attached photos)
I have a Freedom 170 and it also oscillates terribly left and right on truck tow when not using a fin.
Bill Estes at Randall airport won't aerotow Freedom gliders without a fin.

romano

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RochesterAreaFlyers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rochesterareaflyers/169753636.3098460.1653520833650%40mail.yahoo.com.
Glider Fin.jpg
PXL_20220526_015934471.jpg