Spiral dive video from my first SIV (California)

Jim Black

Aug 13, 2022, 9:57:24 PM8/13/22
to Rochester Area Flyers, Upstate NY Free Flyers

I'm an HG pilot transitioning to PG. H4-P2. This is day 2 of my first SIV in California. I loved it and can't wait to do another.. or several. I understand the dynamics of my wing (Hook 5/Low B) much better, as well as being better prepared for incidents in the wild.

This is "best of" my spiral dives. My goal here was to use my outside brake to bring the spiral into a 45 degree angle and then more nose down to slow and speed up the spiral.

I didn't mind the G forces and maybe got a little carried away! I need more work on managing energy as I come out of the maneuver. I had many opportunities to check-brake a surging glider:)

*Safety note: I felt the many risks were mitigated by doing maneuvers over a lake with a retrieve boat, wearing a PFD, flying with 2 reserves, and having coaching over the radio as needed.

Jim Black

Glauber, Leo

Aug 14, 2022, 12:04:35 AM8/14/22
to Jim Black, Rochester Area Flyers, Upstate NY Free Flyers

Holy crap Jim! So Cool!

-Leo

Aug 14, 2022, 11:13:42 AM8/14/22
to rochester...@googlegroups.com

Holy cow, Jim!  I wouldn’t be able to walk straight for a week!

Aug 14, 2022, 11:29:30 AM8/14/22
to Jim Black, Rochester Area Flyers, Upstate NY Free Flyers

Hi Jim,

I know nothing about paragliding, but how fast were you descending, what was your airspeed and how strong were the g-forces?

Thanks, Randy

Sent: August 13, 2022 9:57 PM
To: Rochester Area Flyers <rochester...@googlegroups.com>; Upstate NY Free Flyers <upstate-ny-...@googlegroups.com>

Jim Black

Aug 14, 2022, 1:41:40 PM8/14/22
to Randy Weiss, Rochester Area Flyers, Upstate NY Free Flyers
Randy,

FROM...

A hard spiral will pull around 4 G’s and give you a vertical descent of up to 15 mps (54 km/h). When combined with your horizontal speed as you’re whipped around the outside of the spiral you will be passing through the air at a staggering 150 km/h! The noise is deafening, the G force feels fantastic, it’s completely exhilarating and you’ll want to scream with joy. Although you won’t be able to hear a thing yourself because of the roaring wind noise, rest assured, the people on the ground can hear you, so be careful of what you scream!

Curiously... I don't even  like (most) roller coasters! Two days after returning from the SIV I joined my family at Disneyworld (they love theme parks!) and did 3 days of attempts to simulate what we free flight pilots experience every time we fly. LOL

Jim
--
Dr. Jim Black
He/Him/His

Randy Weiss

Aug 14, 2022, 2:03:31 PM8/14/22
to Jim Black, Randy Weiss, Rochester Area Flyers, Upstate NY Free Flyers

Thanks Jim,

I didn’t mean for you to do research, sorry.  I’d assumed that your instructor would have told you this information or your vario would have shown your windspeed and decent rate.

Glad to hear that you’re enjoying it so much.

Stay safe and hopefully we’ll get to fly soon, Randy