ROS binaries for RRP (aka armel architecture)

Tully Foote

Aug 31, 2011, 6:40:00 PM8/31/11
to robotrefere...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Unfortunately I'm traveling this week and won't get a chance to make it
to the meeting, but I wanted to give people an update on the ROS side of
the RRP.

At Willow we have successfully extended our binary debian building
architecture to build binary debian packages for the armel architecture
in time for the Electric release.

If you are running lucid or maverick on your PandaBoard or BeagleBoard
you can try it out by adding packages.ros.org to your apt sources. How
to do this is documented at
http://www.ros.org/wiki/electric/Installation/Ubuntu

Once you've done this you should be able to run "sudo apt-get update &&
sudo apt-get install ros-electric-ros-full"

Unfortunately there's a bug in the chroot scripts we're using which will
not let us build natty at the moment. And we have only pushed the armel
debs live for ROS Electric at the moment as well. About 20 stacks built
successfully without changes, a lot of the packages have issues finding
armel versions of their dependencies. So there's lots of work to go, but
it's now just debugging armel support for individual stacks.

Let us know how the testing goes or if you find any problems.

Tully

James Ronald

Sep 27, 2011, 10:23:04 PM9/27/11
to robotrefere...@googlegroups.com, Tully Foote
Tully,

Any progress in building the Natty armel binary packages for Electric?

Best regards
- Jim

Tully Foote

Sep 28, 2011, 12:40:10 AM9/28/11
to robotrefere...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jim,

I have it working on my dev machine. It turns out to be a bug in the
chroot package installed on lucid. If the chroot is updated manually
it will work fine. Unfortunately upgrading the build machines is not
something I can do without notable testing. We're reviewing our
infrastructure for the next release, and I'll try to work this into
the plan.

Tully

Jeff Sampson

Oct 27, 2011, 12:41:07 AM10/27/11
to RobotReferencePlatform
Hi,

I tried to install ROS Electric on my Panda board (which has the HBRC
SD Flash card build).

I fought with "public key is not available" until I turned off my DSL
firewall and executed:
"sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys
B2E908737DB60AD5"

What should my sources.list file contain? It only had a single line
for universe when I started. I added restricted and multiverse like
the instructions said to do. So my sources.list file now looks like
this:

deb http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports maverick main restricted
deb http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports maverick main universe
deb http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports maverick main multiverse

Is this correct or does it require more entries?

The main problem is that if I execute "sudo apt-get install ros-
electric-ros-full" (or "sudo apt-get install ros-electric-ros-base")
it always says:

"E: Unable to locate package ros-electric-ros-full" (or "E: Unable to
locate package ros-electric-ros-base")

Jeff

On Aug 31, 5:40 pm, Tully Foote <tully.fo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Unfortunately I'm traveling this week and won't get a chance to make it
> to the meeting, but I wanted to give people an update on the ROS side of
> the RRP.
>
> At Willow we have successfully extended our binary debian building
> architecture to build binary debian packages for the armel architecture
> in time for the Electric release.
>
> If you are running lucid or maverick on your PandaBoard or BeagleBoard
> you can try it out by adding packages.ros.org to your apt sources. How
> to do this is documented athttp://www.ros.org/wiki/electric/Installation/Ubuntu

Nathaniel Lewis

Oct 27, 2011, 10:20:22 AM10/27/11
to robotrefere...@googlegroups.com
It appears that you've forgotten to add the ROS repository to your sources:
deb http://packages.ros.org/ros/ubuntu maverick main

Tully, if you are reading this, correct me if I am wrong, but the armel binaries also reside in the main ros package repository.

Nathaniel Lewis

Jeff Sampson

Oct 27, 2011, 11:25:16 AM10/27/11
to RobotReferencePlatform
Actually I did follow the instructions in the original message of this
thread. And I did follow the instructions at http://www.ros.org/wiki/electric/Installation/Ubuntu

Repeatedly (more than repeatedly). So my /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ros-
latest.list does contain "deb http://packages.ros.org/ros/ubuntu
maverick main"

But the instructions indicated I should have lots of entries in the
sources.list file, but I only had one. So I was asking...

So I guess I will try to learn what Ubuntu does between:
"sudo apt-get install ros-electric-ros-full"
and
"E: Unable to locate package ros-electric-ros-full"
and maybe I can track it down that way...

I assume somewhere in the ros.org directory structure I should find
the name "ros-electric-ros-full".

Jeff

On Oct 27, 9:20 am, Nathaniel Lewis <linux.robotd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It appears that you've forgotten to add the ROS repository to your sources:
> debhttp://packages.ros.org/ros/ubuntumaverick main
> Just follow the guide athttp://www.ros.org/wiki/electric/Installation/Ubuntu
>
> Tully, if you are reading this, correct me if I am wrong, but the armel binaries also reside in the main ros package repository.
>
> Nathaniel Lewis
>
> On Oct 26, 2011, at 9:41 PM, Jeff Sampson wrote:
>

> > Hi,
>
> > I tried to install ROS Electric on my Panda board (which has the HBRC
> > SD Flash card build).
>
> > I fought with "public key is not available" until I turned off my DSL
> > firewall and executed:
> > "sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys
> > B2E908737DB60AD5"
>
> > What should my sources.list file contain? It only had a single line
> > for universe when I started. I added restricted and multiverse like
> > the instructions said to do. So my sources.list file now looks like
> > this:
>
> > debhttp://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-portsmaverick main restricted
> > debhttp://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-portsmaverick main universe
> > debhttp://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-portsmaverick main multiverse

Jeff Sampson

Oct 27, 2011, 2:45:57 PM10/27/11
to RobotReferencePlatform
Okay, with almost no knowledge of how apt-get works I looked through
http://packages.ros.org/ros/ubuntu

I found ros-electric-ros-full under this path:
http://packages.ros.org/ros/ubuntu/dists/maverick/main/binary-i386/Packages
(It is also under the binary-amd64 path)

But I don't find it under:
http://packages.ros.org/ros/ubuntu/dists/maverick/main/binary-armel/Packages

Is that why it does not find the ros-electric-ros-full package when
attempting an apt-get from a Panda board?

Jeff

On Oct 27, 10:25 am, Jeff Sampson <jsamp...@pobox.com> wrote:
> Actually I did follow the instructions in the original message of this
> thread. And I did follow the instructions athttp://www.ros.org/wiki/electric/Installation/Ubuntu
>
> Repeatedly (more than repeatedly). So my /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ros-
> latest.list does contain "debhttp://packages.ros.org/ros/ubuntu
> > > debhttp://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-portsmaverickmain multiverse

Ralph Gnauck

Oct 27, 2011, 3:11:01 PM10/27/11
to robotrefere...@googlegroups.com, tully...@gmail.com
Forwarding to Tully,

Tully can you help Jeff with the install of the the ROS ARM packages please.

Ralph