Microfocus ALM/QC Library for Robot Framework

Dave Amies

Jan 15, 2021, 3:21:10 AM1/15/21
to robotframework-users

Happy new year everyone, as you start getting back into your projects for the new year I have a question for you to consider:

Over the last few months I have noticed a couple of questions about connecting robotframework to ALM/QC (Microfocus Application Lifecycle Management / Quality Center) and so I would like to gauge how much interest there would be in me creating a dedicated library for providing this integration?

In a previous job I have integrated other test tools with ALM/QC API, using the scripting of those tools (VBScraipt and Groovy) so while I the code would be different I am familiar enough with the API that I could create this Library.

I have also created a few tools and libraries to work with robotframework already so I am familiar with robotframework’s api and also packaging python libraries to be installed by pip, so installation would be something like `pip install robotframework-almqc`.

If I was to go ahead with this I imagine the following would cover the functionality that most people would want in the first version:

- find existing test

- find existing test set

- create test run

- update test run step

- add/insert test run step

- create defect

- find defect

- update defect

- link defect (to test run or other defect)

Obviously everyone’s ALM/QC environment will be different and will have different mandatory and custom fields, so there will need to be some attention paid to this such that the keywords can handle custom fields and give friendly error messages when mandatory fields are missed.

So here is where I am going to request your help to show me how much interest there is in creating this robotframework library, I have recently enabled sponsorship on my github account (https://github.com/sponsors/damies13) so if you are interested in me creating an ALM/QC library for robotframework, then please show your interest by help me to reach my funding goal before the end of February, and i’ll make it happen, as an open source project on github.

Dave.

Ravi Khapre

Jan 15, 2021, 3:24:11 AM1/15/21
to dami...@gmail.com, robotframework-users
Wow, great to hear from you, Robot Framework can integrate with ALM

Dave Amies

Jan 15, 2021, 5:12:33 AM1/15/21
to robotframework-users
Hi Ravi,

At the moment Robot Framework can integrate with ALM if you are familiar with the ALM API and can construct the api calls, what I'm proposing is to make a library to handle these api calls for people who don't want to spend the time figuring it out themselves.

To do this I will need to buy hardware to set up a test environment, and it will take many hours of development and testing, to dedicate the time required to develop this library and ensure it is of a high quality standard for production use. This will require me to take a break from my normal contract work, and it's for these reasons I'm asking people to sponsor this work if it would be useful to them.

Dave.