How to automate Desktop application using robot framework

Shiva Prasad Adirala

Jun 20, 2018, 4:38:09 AM6/20/18
to robotframework-users

One of project requirement is to automate Desktop application and client suggested to use robot framework. Is there any Library to automate desktop application as i am new to RF.

Thanks In Advance.

adam.wyp...@gmail.com

Jun 20, 2018, 5:25:51 AM6/20/18
to robotframework-users
For Java you can use Remote Swing Library, for C++ I will try with AutoIt.

Matthew Hoang Vu

Jun 21, 2018, 3:47:28 AM6/21/18
to adiral...@gmail.com, robotframework-users
Hi,

In my experience, you can consider the "pywinauto" library for Test Automation on Desktop application. The usage and behavior of this library is quite same as the Selenium.

Thanks.
HieuHoang

One of project requirement is to automate Desktop application and client suggested to use robot framework. Is there any Library to automate desktop application as i am new to RF.

Thanks In Advance.

Manjunath Venkata Avvari

Jul 17, 2018, 2:51:10 AM7/17/18
to robotframework-users
I had used RF long back, now planning to use again in new project. You could try using AutoItLibrary for Desktop applications, another one is SikuliLibrary (you have to store images, not recommended)

Tomas Pekarovic

Jul 17, 2018, 2:58:05 AM7/17/18
to avvar...@gmail.com, robotframework-users
https://github.com/alans09/robotframework-RanorexLibrary   this is one way (library should be working, even if it is not maintained)
or you can use pywinauto and create own - python based library to work with (we used RanorexLibrary for years and it was enough for desktop application) (or AutoITLibrary, but it was not working at majority of products)

David

Jul 17, 2018, 9:52:44 PM7/17/18
to robotframework-users
Sadly the Ranorex tool to which RanorexLibrary interfaces with is not free as I last recall? Workaround is to use the trial version as best you can.

If one is open to using Selenium/AppiumLibrary and the WebDriver interface, a few more options are available like https://github.com/Microsoft/WinAppDriver for Windows 10.

Aside from pywinauto, there's also PyAutoGUI.

On Wednesday, 20 June 2018 14:08:09 UTC+5:30, Shiva Prasad Adirala wrote:

One of project requirement is to automate Desktop application and client suggested to use robot framework. Is there any Library to automate desktop application as i am new to RF.

Thanks In Advance.

Parthiban

Jul 18, 2018, 12:33:57 AM7/18/18
to robotframework-users
Hi,
We are using Teststack white for automating desktop application with robot framework  refer this site http://www.teststack.net/

Doanh Nguyễn văn

May 17, 2019, 7:08:18 AM5/17/19
to robotframework-users
Hi All,

How effectiveness after your apply? Any limits?

Vào 15:38:09 UTC+7 Thứ Tư, ngày 20 tháng 6 năm 2018, Shiva Prasad Adirala đã viết:

Manjunath Venkata Avvari

May 17, 2019, 11:21:31 AM5/17/19
to nguyenva...@gmail.com, robotframework-users
Try using “robotframework-autoitlibrary” for automating desktop application using RF

Regards,
Manju

Sent from my iPhone

Brandon Wolfe

May 5, 2020, 8:27:06 AM5/5/20
to robotframework-users

I know its an old question but just throwing this out for anyone still looking:

While looking into it I found that AppiumLibrary was lacking features needed for working well with Windows and Winappdriver. I ended up extending that library and re-purposing it for Desktop automation.

IRM QA

May 5, 2020, 8:44:26 AM5/5/20
to wol...@gmail.com, robotframework-users
Hi,

Please try using robotframework-zoomba library it works. It uses vb’s inspect.exe for getting object éléments.

Thanks
Ram L

Sheetal Shahare

Sep 29, 2020, 6:57:56 AM9/29/20
to robotframework-users
Can you please give detailed information on how to use Library  "robotframework-zoomba" for desktop applicaton.
How to inspect element.

e.g In desktop application i need to fill up certain form
so how to inspect certain text fields and buttons ?

Brandon Wolfe

Sep 29, 2020, 8:47:59 AM9/29/20
to robotframework-users
https://accruent.github.io/robotframework-zoomba/DesktopLibraryDocumentation.html

" Locating or Specifying Elements

All keywords in DesktopLibrary that need to find an element on the page take a locator argument. To find these locators we use *Accessibility Insights* to inspect the application under test. This tool allows you to see every UI element/node that you can interact with using DesktopLibrary. *Accessibility Insights* can be downloaded at https://accessibilityinsights.io/ The tool will show various element attributes. The table below shows you witch locator strategy you should use to find elements with the corresponding attributes.

To locate xpath we suggest using the *WinAppDriver UI Recorder* located here: https://github.com/Microsoft/WinAppDriver/releases"

Otherwise inspect.exe exists but Microsoft has deprecated it and is telling people to move to accessibiity insights:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/winauto/inspect-objects#:~:text=Inspect%20(Inspect.exe)%20is,as%20Microsoft%20Active%20Accessibility%20properties.

Sheetal Shahare

Dec 9, 2020, 12:18:59 AM12/9/20
to robotframework-users

Hi ,

i am working in offline enviroment so I have downloaded .whl file robotframework_zoomba-2.7.1-py3-none-any.whl  which is not compatible with robotframework version(3.2.1) i have
Please guide me how do i install in offline enviroment.

Brandon Wolfe

Dec 9, 2020, 9:45:36 AM12/9/20
to robotframework-users
I am not familiar with setting up an offline environment but I would guess you have a few choices here:

  1. Update to robotframework 3.2.2 on your local
    1. This is the current version that Robotframework-Zoomba 2.7.1 is using
  2. Generate a new wheel file with your version needs
    1. Clone the Robotframewrok-Zoomba repository
    2. In requirements.txt change the robotframework version to the one you have installed
    3.  Generate the wheel file
      1. Some information here: https://medium.com/swlh/beginners-guide-to-create-python-wheel-7d45f8350a94
        1. Skip to the last section as the setup.py file is already ready for this
  3. You could use an older version of robotframework-zoomba (2.4.4)
    1. https://pypi.org/project/robotframework-zoomba/2.4.4/#files
    2. Not recommended as there have been quite a few releases and features since then