From font.kerning to features.kern

Roberto Arista

Oct 29, 2013, 2:23:21 PM10/29/13
to rob...@googlegroups.com
Hi!
I searched around in the net, but I didn't find so much.
I hope this is the right place to ask.

I need to export a features.kern file from the kerning dictionary of a Robofab font object.
Is there any suggested procedure?

I found only a FL macro inside the FDK package.
I am working in Robofont or Nonelab.

Thank you!
---
Roberto Arista
http://robertoarista.it
---

Behdad Esfahbod

Oct 29, 2013, 2:44:50 PM10/29/13
to rob...@googlegroups.com
On 13-10-29 07:23 PM, Roberto Arista wrote:
> Hi!
> I searched around in the net, but I didn't find so much.
> I hope this is the right place to ask.
>
> I need to export a features.kern file from the kerning dictionary of a Robofab font object.
> Is there any suggested procedure?
>
> I found only a FL macro inside the FDK package.
> I am working in Robofont or Nonelab.

I've used neither of these tools, but sounds like you're looking for something
like this?

https://github.com/adobe-type-tools/python-modules/blob/master/WriteFeaturesKernFDK.py

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/

Frederik Berlaen

Oct 29, 2013, 3:47:53 PM10/29/13
to rob...@googlegroups.com
or Tals ufo2fdk

https://github.com/typesupply/ufo2fdk/blob/master/Lib/ufo2fdk/kernFeatureWriter.py

this is used by RoboFont to build the kern fea

good luck!

gr Frederik
www.typemytype.com
> --
> --
>
> Messages from newly joined members are subject to moderation.
> Download RoboFab and documentation at http://robofab.com
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RoboFab" group.

Miguel Sousa

Oct 29, 2013, 4:02:26 PM10/29/13
to rob...@googlegroups.com
Yep, that will work. Here's how to use it from RoboFont:

import os
import WriteFeaturesKernFDK

f = CurrentFont()

minKern = 5
writeTrimmed = False
writeSubtables = False

instanceFolder = os.path.dirname(f.path)

WriteFeaturesKernFDK.KernDataClass(f, instanceFolder, minKern, writeTrimmed, writeSubtables)

M.

Roberto Arista

Oct 30, 2013, 7:11:02 AM10/30/13
to rob...@googlegroups.com
Hi!
I tried the Adobe one, it works.
I suggest to put the example code in the github README file.

Thank you
---
Roberto Arista
http://robertoarista.it
---
Mobile: +39 366 4537413
Skype: jimbo475
---
My public PGP key is here:
http://robertoarista.it/robertoArista_publicKey.txt
---

Miguel Sousa

Oct 30, 2013, 5:30:35 PM10/30/13
to rob...@googlegroups.com
Good idea. Do you mind submitting a pull request?

Frank Grießhammer

Oct 31, 2013, 10:13:42 AM10/31/13
to rob...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Roberto for bringing that up, thanks Miguel for responding to this question so quickly.
In fact, this stuff is in the list of my post-ATypI tasks.

I will submit some more kerning scripts to github and also document them.

Greetings,
Frank