RoboFab & FontLab & Yosemite

Mark Simonson

Nov 14, 2014, 11:51:59 AM11/14/14
to rob...@googlegroups.com
After upgrading to Yosemite, RoboFab seems to have stopped working in FontLab. In fact running any RoboFab script seems to cause FontLab to go bonkers. I’m running Mac version 5.1.2 (build 4447).

When I try to run any script that includes RoboFab calls, the “run script” button is grayed out, but the script does not seem to be doing anything. The output window is blank (no errors reported) and the FontLab UI behaves oddly. (e.g., clicking in a font window causes it to scroll erratically instead of selecting a cell.) Some parts of the UI seem to work normally (menus, opening and closing windows and palettes). However, it hangs when I attempt to quit the program after closing any open windows for me, forcing me to force quit. Force quit is the only method I’ve found to get FontLab working "properly" again.

Non-RoboFab Python scripts seem to still work. For instance, I can run pythonFontLabVersionSniffer and get this output:

fontlab version 5.1.2/Mac(Build 4447)

python version 2.7.6 (default, Sep 9 2014, 15:04:36)
[GCC 4.2.1 Compatible Apple LLVM 6.0 (clang-600.0.39)]

site-packages is at /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages

dialogKit.pth
/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/dialogKit.pth
contents:
/Users/marksair/code/DialogKit/Lib

easy-install.pth
/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/easy-install.pth
contents:
import sys; sys.__plen = len(sys.path)
./Sphinx-1.2b1-py2.7.egg
./docutils-0.10-py2.7.egg
./Jinja2-2.6-py2.7.egg
./Pygments-1.6-py2.7.egg
./py2app-0.7.3-py2.7.egg
./macholib-1.5.1-py2.7.egg
./modulegraph-0.10.4-py2.7.egg
./altgraph-0.10.2-py2.7.egg
./pyobjc-2.5.1-py2.7.egg
import sys; new=sys.path[sys.__plen:]; del sys.path[sys.__plen:]; p=getattr(sys,'__egginsert',0); sys.path[p:p]=new; sys.__egginsert = p+len(new)

FontTools.pth
/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/FontTools.pth
contents:
FontTools

robofab.pth
/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/robofab.pth
contents:
/Users/marksair/code/RoboFab/Lib

Has anybody run into this? Was it perhaps a bad idea to upgrade? Could it just be something peculiar with my system?

I’m thinking I may need to reinstall some or all of my FL/RF set up, but I thought I would ask here first.

TIA,

Mark

Frank Grießhammer

Nov 14, 2014, 1:37:32 PM11/14/14
to rob...@googlegroups.com
In the very rare instances that FontLab is actually used on my system, Robofab still seems to work.
FontLab behaves just as weirdly as ever (i.e. Normal).
I am also on Yosemite 10.10 (14A389), and FontLab 5.1.2 V 4447, here is my VersionSniffer output:

fontlab version 5.1.2/Mac(Build 4447)

python version 2.7.6 (default, Sep  9 2014, 15:04:36)
[GCC 4.2.1 Compatible Apple LLVM 6.0 (clang-600.0.39)]

site-packages is at /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages

easy-install.pth
/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/easy-install.pth
contents:
import sys; sys.__plen = len(sys.path)
./mercurial-2.9-py2.7-macosx-10.9-intel.egg
import sys; new=sys.path[sys.__plen:]; del sys.path[sys.__plen:]; p=getattr(sys,'__egginsert',0); sys.path[p:p]=new; sys.__egginsert = p+len(new)

tools.pth
/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/tools.pth
contents:
/Users/fgriessh/dev/defcon/Lib
/Users/fgriessh/dev/fontMath/Lib
/Users/fgriessh/dev/robofab/Lib
/Users/fgriessh/dev/vanilla/Lib
/Users/fgriessh/dev/AdobeTypeTools/python-modules
/Users/fgriessh/dev/fonttools/trunk/Lib
/Users/fgriessh/dev/pynum2word-0.3

Messages from newly joined members are subject to moderation.
Download RoboFab and documentation at http://robofab.com
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RoboFab" group.

Mark Simonson

Nov 14, 2014, 1:52:01 PM11/14/14
to rob...@googlegroups.com
Puzzling. After posting here, I asked the same question on the FL forum. I got an answer that led me to believe that the version of FL I’m using is not up-to-date enough. Your answer leads me to believe that the problem is not the FL version I’m using (same as you).

More info: I’m seeing this on two different Macs which have been upgraded to 10.10. I have a third Mac running the latest 10.9 and FL 5.1.2 (4447) and everything still works fine there.

Mark

Frank Grießhammer

Nov 14, 2014, 2:04:24 PM11/14/14
to rob...@googlegroups.com
I used a newer FontLab version before, but it had many more issues than this one; which is at least halfway stable.

Miguel Sousa

Nov 14, 2014, 3:12:10 PM11/14/14
to rob...@googlegroups.com
There are beta builds newer than 4447, but AFAIK 4447 is the most stable when it comes to using macros/scripts. Don't have the link handy, but if you look in the FontLab forum you'll find an official post saying that build 4447 is the official 5.1.2 release.

Sent from my mobile device

Pablo Impallari

Nov 14, 2014, 6:29:17 PM11/14/14
to rob...@googlegroups.com

Build 4836 works very good for me.

Mark Simonson

Nov 16, 2014, 8:28:38 PM11/16/14
to rob...@googlegroups.com
Some further info:

- It turns out that RoboFab scripts will run, but only after a delay of about a minute (on the MacBook Pro I tested) the first time you try to run such a script. Subsequent runs (either the same script or a different script) start immediately. Apparently, I was too impatient to wait for the initial delay and force quit before the script started running, assuming that it was hung.

- I tried updating to FL 5.1.4 (build 4868) but the issue persists. (5.1.4 is the official current version for Mac.)

- I realize in hindsight that this is the same issue that others reported a week or so ago on TypeDrawers. ( http://typedrawers.com/discussion/764/osx-yosemite-issues-anyone ) Duh.

Mark

Dezcom

Nov 19, 2014, 4:06:32 PM11/19/14
to rob...@googlegroups.com
I have just updated to Yosemite.  No problems with RoboFab, FLS, or Glyphs, but now RoboFont won't open

Martin Wenzel

Nov 19, 2014, 4:43:42 PM11/19/14
to rob...@googlegroups.com
On Nov 19, 2014, at 22:06 , Dezcom <dez...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have just updated to Yosemite. No problems with RoboFab, FLS, or Glyphs, but now RoboFont won't open

I have an Issue with Mechanic, because it checks during start-up if any updates are available (even after unchecking “Check for updates on startup” in Settings). RoboFont actually did open but after more than 40 secs.

Switching off your wifi temporarily will show if that is the issue.

Best,
Martin

> On Sunday, November 16, 2014 8:28:38 PM UTC-5, marksimonson wrote:
> Some further info:
>
> - It turns out that RoboFab scripts will run, but only after a delay of about a minute (on the MacBook Pro I tested) the first time you try to run such a script. Subsequent runs (either the same script or a different script) start immediately. Apparently, I was too impatient to wait for the initial delay and force quit before the script started running, assuming that it was hung.
>
> - I tried updating to FL 5.1.4 (build 4868) but the issue persists. (5.1.4 is the official current version for Mac.)
>
> - I realize in hindsight that this is the same issue that others reported a week or so ago on TypeDrawers. ( http://typedrawers.com/discussion/764/osx-yosemite-issues-anyone ) Duh.
>
> Mark
>
> --
> --
>
> Messages from newly joined members are subject to moderation.
> Download RoboFab and documentation at http://robofab.com
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RoboFab" group.

http://martinplus.com - Communication Design and Typography
- - -
phone +49 (0)30 88 72 79 70
mobile +49 (0)15 20 35 45 006
- - -
http://supertype.de - Custom Type Design
http://martinplusfonts.com - Type Foundry
http://martinplusfonts.com/pizza - Pizza?

Frank Grießhammer

Nov 19, 2014, 4:57:58 PM11/19/14
to rob...@googlegroups.com
Please, all be aware of this Yosemite-related problem:
(FontLab is not able to run certain scripts when started via the UI)

Jens Kutilek

Dec 19, 2014, 5:04:10 AM12/19/14
to rob...@googlegroups.com
> Mark Simonson:
>
> - It turns out that RoboFab scripts will run, but only after a delay of about a
> minute (on the MacBook Pro I tested) the first time you try to run such a script.
> Subsequent runs (either the same script or a different script) start
> immediately. Apparently, I was too impatient to wait for the initial delay and
> force quit before the script started running, assuming that it was hung.
>
> - I tried updating to FL 5.1.4 (build 4868) but the issue persists. (5.1.4 is the
> official current version for Mac.)

I have submitted a patch to the robofab GitHub repository which gets rid of the initial delay:

https://github.com/robofab-developers/robofab/commit/61048483f08e91370463c77477263053fc06e633

Cheers,
Jens

Mark Simonson