Cardboard Battlebots

Adrian Apps

Oct 30, 2015, 5:32:02 AM10/30/15
to RoboDojo
Hi Everyone!

In my discussions on projects with the Arts Center I have been researching a whole range of ideas over the past few weeks. Anyway as some of you would have seen a post appears on the Robot's and Dinosaurs mailing list today that has forced me to reveal one of the ideas early... Cardboard Robot Battles! Check out this video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-tRS1z7i90 for a recap of what CGW have already done.

To be perfectly honest, I was hoping for this to remain undiscovered for now while I sorted out the remainder of the details which I was planning on presenting at our next meetup on Monday! But now that the cat is out of the bag so to speak, let me present something I've been working on for the past few weeks. This is just the introduction, I do have some more info I've been throwing together to make it but haven't finished. Anyway...

As all of you would know, in exchange for use of the space at the Arts Center, we are required to provide community workshops to the public as payment for the use of the space. It means the idea has to be relatively simple to complete and so when I first saw this idea from CGW I believed it to be the perfect ideal candidate for a project. Perhaps not as a single workshop but as a series. First workshop can be a demo and introduction to the rules, then allowing kids to go out an build there own, meeting online for a few weeks, culminating in the conclusion being another session where the competition itself would commence.

I generally like the whole idea and the list of rules that CGW developed here http://comogadgetworks.org/wiki/index.php/Combat_Robots and suggest we follow the same. A couple modifications to the rules though would be to add a total price cap restriction (suggest $AUD60) and allow for a slightly higher weight to make it easier (suggest 700 grams). 44 grams difference might not seem like a lot but it does make a surprising difference in what can be achieved quickly and with tools at hand.

I have asked Robots and Dinosaurs that we agree on some common rules allowing for inter-space competitions (even allowing for national competitions). I was thinking that in order to make it internationally compatible (should it ever develop to be at that level) that a weight handicap type system could be implemented also, ie if a lighter robot fights a heavier robot, it is allowed to claim a handicap before the round begins.

Anyway, I still have a lot of things to think about, and I suppose that having other spaces contribute to the idea isn't a bad thing, it just makes it slightly harder to work out something that fits our needs (sorry to sound selfish if anyother spaces are reading this!).

See below for the start of the suggested construction rules:

Size and Weight
Robots must fit into a 7"x7"x7" cube and may weigh no more than 700 grams.
Cost
Robots must have a total cost of less than AUD$60. Keep receipts as these may be asked for as proof by judges prior to entry.
Chassis
The chassis of the robot must be constructed primarily with cardboard.
No two active components may be connected by anything other than cardboard.
Active components include, but are not limited to, motors, servos, actuators, springs, or any device capable of providing torque or motion.
Cardboard for the robot chassis may not be layered with any other material other than cardboard using the approved adhesive.
Materials
All cardboard used for construction must come from one single-wall, C-flute box sized at 6"x6"x6"
One 2" x 6" strip of masking tape is allowed.
Duct tape cannot be used.
Adhesive
Hot-melt and Elmer's-type glue are the only approved construction adhesives.
Paint
Robots are not allowed to be painted for this competition.

Happy for other suggestions to modify the above keeping in mind what I said earlier and I'm keen to discuss this Monday night and also on here.

Cheers,

Adrian

Adrian Apps

Nov 1, 2015, 10:34:41 PM11/1/15
to RoboDojo
Rules converted to metric

Competition Rules

Construction

Size and Weight

·         Robots must fit into a 7"x7"x7" cube and may weigh no more than 700 grams.

Cost

·         Robots must have a total cost of less than AUD$60. Keep receipts as these may be asked for as proof by judges prior to entry.

Chassis

·         The chassis of the robot must be constructed primarily with cardboard.

·         No two active components may be connected by anything other than cardboard.

·         Active components include, but are not limited to, motors, servos, actuators, springs, or any device capable of providing torque or motion.

·         Cardboard for the robot chassis may not be layered with any other material other than cardboard using the approved adhesive.

Materials

·         All cardboard used for construction must come from one single-wall, C-flute box sized at 15x15x15cm

·         One 2" (~5cm) x 15cm  strip of masking tape is allowed.

·         Duct tape cannot be used.

Adhesive

·         Hot-melt/hot-glue and PVA-type glue are the only approved construction adhesives.

Paint

·         Robots are not allowed to be painted for this competition.

Weapons

Safety

·         All weapons musts be mechanically "safed" when outside the arena. Sharp edges must be protected with clearly visible cover, spinning weapons must be physically prevented from rotating, actuators for flame weapons must be locked into closed position, etc.

·         Competitors must be able to deactivate weapons remotely

·         All weapons must return to a safe state when transmitter signal is lost.

Disallowed Weapons

The following weapon types are not allowed in competition:

·         Intentional entanglement devices

·         Intentional explosives

·         Untethered projectiles

·         Projectile tethers are limited to 30cm

·         Liquid weapons

·         Electric discharge weapons

·         Any weapon determined by officials to pose a hazard to the arena or spectators

Electronics

Control

·         Robots may be radio controlled by an operator or may fight autonomously.

·         All autonomous robot competitors must be able to shut down the robot remotely.

Batteries

·         Batteries containing liquid acid or liquid electrolyte are not allowed.

·         Lithium-based batteries are allowed, but may have no more than three cells (3S) and may not exceed a capacity of 1500 mAh.

Competition Rules

Officials

Prior to competition, at least two but no more than three impartial officials shall be selected to act as judges. They will inspect all competitors' bots to ensure compliance with the stated regulations and will be responsible for any decisions that may arise during competition.

Format

Bracket

·         All competitors will be entered into a random bracket at the start of competition.

·         Competition shall be structured in one-on-one fights, with the winner advancing to the next round.

Winning a Fight

Competitors shall be granted a win under the following conditions:

·         Their opponent forfeits.

·         The opponent's bot is unable to move under its own power for ten continuous seconds.

·         The judges award victory to a competitor after a fight has reached its time limit.

Time Limit

·         Each fight shall be limited to 3 minutes.

Forfeiture

·         At any time during a fight, a competitor may call out "STOP STOP STOP" to forfeit. The fight will immediately end, and a win will be awarded to their opponent.

Repairs

·         Winners of a match will be allowed to use one half of a regulation box for repairs before their next fight.

·         Competitors are guaranteed 20 minutes between matches for repairs, charging, etc.

Arena

Size

·         The arena is 120cm x120cm wide and roughly 60cm tall.

Construction

·         The floor is plywood with a covering of sheet ABS.

·         The walls are made of lexan, 60cm x 120cm.

·         The lower 10cm  of the arena are a protective molding.

·         The roof is comprised of hardware cloth with a 3/4" grid pattern.

Adrian Apps

Nov 17, 2015, 5:21:21 PM11/17/15
to RoboDojo

Cross posting here as I know some of you aren't on the facebook page...

I've put together a kit for a Cardboard Battlebot Starter Kit... Just add a weapon and design it! $40 each, 6 available. Includes:
- 2x Geared DC Motors
- L9110S H-Bridge Motor Controller
- Arduino Nano w/ CH340 USB Driver
- HC-06 Bluetooth Transceiver
- 1000mAh LiPo Battery
- Regulation Cardboard

Please let me know if you're interested in this cheap kit to get you going!

I'll also be organising a robot building workshop using the above once we have a few participants. Let me know if you're interested!