Arbotix and Bluetooth Bee and Android

Stephen Hazel

Apr 3, 2012, 5:43:09 PM4/3/12
to robocon...@googlegroups.com
I'm thinkin' on how to make an android phone the brains of a bioloid servo'd robot.
Also, if it had wheels, that'd be great, too.
I think Arbotix has a dual motor controller including encoder connections.

1) What would be some decent motors for it?

This Arbotix board seems perfect for controlling the servos.
And I'm pretty sure I can make an Android app that'll connect up to another bluetooth capable device.

2) Has anybody tried using a "Bluetooth Bee" in the XBEE spot on the Arbotix board yet?

3) Also, what's a good portable power pack that'll do the Arbotix 11 volts (or whatever it was)?

Thanks much,

...Steve

Michael Ferguson

Apr 4, 2012, 3:49:01 AM4/4/12
to robocon...@googlegroups.com
1) we'd certainly need more payload specs to know motors

2) I've not seen the bluetooth bee, got a link?

3) 11.1V lipos do a very good job in general for Bioloid servos. Just don't overdischarge them.

4) I'd suggest posting this over to forums.trossenrobotics.com -- there is a much larger arbotix (and robotics in general) community there, with a lot more action.

-Fergs

Stephen Hazel

Apr 4, 2012, 6:43:37 PM4/4/12
to robocon...@googlegroups.com
Hi Fergs, thanks for your reply.

1) we'd certainly need more payload specs to know motors

Well, probably not much more than just the servos, arbotix board, battery pack and maybe
a gyro and 2 ultrasonic pings or something.  Probably try some line following or something.
This is all just a vague plan for now.

2) I've not seen the bluetooth bee, got a link?

Sure - http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/bluetooth-bee-p-598.html

3) 11.1V lipos do a very good job in general for Bioloid servos. Just don't overdischarge them.

Thanks!  will look em up.

4) I'd suggest posting this over to forums.trossenrobotics.com -- there is a much larger arbotix (and robotics in general) community there, with a lot more action.

Ok, will do.  I coulda swore I went to trossenrobotics, clicks "contact" and got directed here.

Thanks again!

...Steve

Stephen Hazel

Apr 4, 2012, 6:54:12 PM4/4/12
to robocon...@googlegroups.com
Umm, sorry, also the android phone (old school Motorola Droid) and, mmm, say 12 servos?
And since I've got a spot for encoders, add them to the pile.

But in general, not very heavy.  Just any old cheap motors+encoders.
I've not looked at many encodered motor setups yet.