Help with Understanding Robocode Motion Equations

Gustavo Santos

Apr 24, 2020, 1:43:22 PM4/24/20
to robocode-developers
Hello people good night!

I am studying about robocode to present a work, and I need to present about the equations of motion of the robot, which respects the rules of Maximum Acceleration, Maximum Deceleration and Maximum Speed.
I found in source the method that handles movement, I understood everything but one of the methods, the "getNewVelocity (double distance)" method
I need to understand what equations were used, since apparently kinematics equations don't work at discrete time...

Below is the method I need to understand the equations:

Code.PNG
 Can someone help me? Thanks in advance

Flemming Larsen

Apr 24, 2020, 1:54:35 PM4/24/20
to robocode-developers
Hi Strix. I don't think there is an easy answer to this. Keep in mind that Robocode is not a physics game. It is "just" a game, and the physics might not be mathematically/physically correct, and that has not been a goal for the game.

But there are discussions on the RoboWiki with lots of discussions on this topic. Have a look, and you might find a useful answer:

https://robowiki.net/wiki/Archived_talk:Robocode/Game_Physics