Can we devlop robocode for web browser

Amey Zulkanthiwar

Jan 30, 2018, 1:10:49 AM1/30/18
to robocode-developers
Hello My name is Amey, I am thinking of doing my project as making online robocode game but i don't know wather it is doable or not. I don't know about the coding that much but i am ready to learn if it is doable. can any bady Please help me with this.
Thank you.

Regards
Amey Zulkanthiwar

Mauro lesto

Jan 30, 2018, 3:37:41 PM1/30/18
to robocode-...@googlegroups.com

As this game is turn based, and done by computer, lag is not a real issue (unless you want to see it in real time). Actually roborumble make this game sort of online, even if in a distributed fashion :)

If you think to have good bases in java, that is a very good project. Also taka a look at the "proxy" classes, they where build with something similar in mind, IIRC.

Ciao!

--

---

Flemming Larsen

Jan 31, 2018, 2:26:50 PM1/31/18
to robocode-developers
Hi Amey,

It is definitely doable to make an online version of Robocode. In fact, I am working on a new version of Robocode, which is able to do exactly that. It is using a turn-based protocol on web-sockets, where the bots only sends their "move" for each turn and get a game state (of what they should be able to see - the rest of the world is hidden).
But the current Robocode cannot do this as it is. Hence, it would be a total rewrite of Robocode, which takes a long time.

Best regards,
- Flemming

Jon Ho

Feb 4, 2018, 2:33:30 PM2/4/18
to robocode-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
I have found something similar and modified and used it for educational purposes.

I have translated in Greek language but you could I guess find what each field do.
demo: http://gamesedu.github.io/robojs-jeick-gr/
online java source  creation:  https://github.com/gamesedu/robojs-jeick-gr/blob/master/createbot/createbot_form.php (you would need to set it up on a webserver to work (github does not support running PHP)

main repository:
ttps://github.com/gamesedu/robojs-jeick-gr
based on : https://github.com/jeickmann/robojs

--

---

Jon Ho

Feb 4, 2018, 2:33:30 PM2/4/18
to robocode-developers
There are already some robocode-like browser games.

This repo is in Greek but you might get the idea (eg bots can be created using these php scripts : https://github.com/gamesedu/robojs-jeick-gr/tree/master/createbot )
I used this application to a class where each student created his own bot and we had a tournament

There were some more robocode-like games in Coffescript and Livescript but I couldn't make them run.

Flemming Larsen

Feb 5, 2018, 1:21:49 PM2/5/18
to robocode-developers
That is great! :-D

I am working with both a server side and client side. The server part is for running competitions and similar or running Robocode on a desktop.
Learning Robocode and code all stuff using a plain web-browser and Javascript is also great. Both things should be possible. :-)

Best regards,
- Flemming

mr_b

Sep 9, 2018, 2:47:29 PM9/9/18
to robocode-developers
Flemming are you owner of Robocode? About new project is that open source?

Flemming Larsen

Sep 10, 2018, 2:00:38 PM9/10/18
to robocode-developers
Mathew Nelson invented Robocode inspired by CRobots. When Mathew stopped working on Robocode, I continued the development. Lots of other people have made contributions to Robocode, so it is hard to tell, if I own Robocode. But at least I am the main developer. :-)

Regarding the new version of Robocode, it is not OpenSource yet - at least now while it is still in its initial version. I will not make it available for the public until it is somewhat "stable", meaning that I could change and refactor huge parts of the code without worring if people get mad because of my changes.
When it gets more stable, I intend to make it OpenSource like current Robocode, but it will get a new home page, Wiki, source repo. etc. to separate it from current Robocode. The new version will be different, so thats the reason for keeping them appart. But it will be a "Robocode 2". :-)

The basic server/game-engine is almost complete. The scoring system needs some work. The web UI is under development (using Vue.js). It still needs some work. When this is done, I think it is sufficient to create some Alpha versions, so people can try it out. :-)

- Flemming

adriano scazzola

Jun 13, 2020, 2:10:00 PM6/13/20
to robocode-developers
Hello Flemming Larsen,

Currently with other people are working on the thesis of the University in Argentina, the idea is continue developing a project that use robocode as a library an extend it to learn in the school to develop using blocks.

Will be wonderful update the current project to a web project, we have two options to implement this, but we aren't sure about if are feasible or not. The options are:
  1. we can create a Rest api to consume robocode and run the battles in the server notifying the clients using for instance web sockets
  2. If you are still working in the web version we can offer to support you in the web project that you are working on
Thank you.

Waiting for your answer

With Best regards.

Adriano

Flemming Larsen

Jun 13, 2020, 2:24:05 PM6/13/20
to robocode-developers
Hi Adriano,

Regarding the two options:
1) You could use the Robocode Control for controlling a Robocode instance on a server. You might need a way to upload/download bots from the server as the robots should be located on the server where Robocode can read them. Creating a REST service on top of all might be a good solution. I know there have already been several attempts by other developers, and there are people who have put Robocode in docker containers etc. You could ask on the Facebook group if anybody have already developed such an API.

2) The new Robocode version is still under development and will support web. But I will work on this alone to get the architecture just right. And I don't have enough spare time for coordination. The prototype is made, and I have started on sample bots for C# and Java + doing documentation etc. It takes a long time to do. After that, it should be moved to GitHub and I need to proper forums for it. When the Beta version is ready, I intend to do a JavaScript API for it as well.

Best regards,
- Flemming