[Robotics] Twiliobot

1 view

Budi Mulyo

Jul 16, 2012, 6:53:46 AM7/16/12
to Robo-Magellan Project, Xandon Frogget, da Vinci

The main take-away: Gottfried thinks that the interest in the hack points to the disconnect between the web development world and the hardware hacking world — and that developers are always eager to find exciting ways to bridge the two. Food for thought?

I’ve always been fascinated by the bridging of the physical and digital worlds, especially since the majority of emerging startups tend to be focused on software and not hardware. There are some consumer offerings out there, but a lot of real innovation is being done by hackers in their spare time and not by consumer electronics companies … [The TwilioBot] turned out to be much more popular than we expected … and I tend to believe this is because of a real disconnect between the web development world and the hardware hacking world — anything combining those two is bound to find interested developers.

"Robots will be bigger than the PC in 10 to 20 years, but it will be linked to your computing device either in the cloud or on your person," says Paul Berberian, CEO of Orbotix, which makes Sphero, a robot ball controlled by smartphones.

Best wishes,

--
Budi Mulyo

Jigsaw Renaissance is a learning and making community, a collaborative community dedicated to collective education and creation.

For more information about JR
(www.jigsawrenaissance.org)please visit our wiki page at wiki.jigren.org/Starting_Classes or this page.

Contact us, so we can chat about scheduling something cool together.
Thanks!

Paul Danset

Jul 19, 2012, 2:14:37 AM7/19/12
to Robo-Magellan Project on behalf of Budi Mulyo, Xandon Frogget, da Vinci
Interesting.  Thanks Budi.

I spotted this $80 iPhone-based "SmartPet" robot at the Osaka airport (KIX) on my way home:

Re: $10 robot challenge.  A noble goal, but I don't think it's a realistic retail price any time soon.  Just one motor, 2-4 AA batteries and a battery holder alone will put you over $10, and that doesn't even include gears / wheels / chassis / micro-controller.

Cheers,
Paul

P.S.  Just got my BT module today. :)

P.P.S.  Hitting 430 kph (267 mph) on the Shanghai maglev train was awesome, especially when passing another maglev train going the other way.  :)   Got it on camera, but in the meantime just Google "430 kph in mph" and you'll see some YouTube links to the maglev train in action.  Amazing how much Shanghai has changed in 20 years:

-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Robo-Magellan Project group.

Check out our project page: http://www.jigsawrenaissance.org/donation/robo-magellan-project/

Pat Tressel

Jul 19, 2012, 2:27:45 AM7/19/12
to Robo-Magellan Project on behalf of pd, Xandon Frogget, da Vinci
Paul --

Re: $10 robot challenge.  A noble goal, but I don't think it's a realistic retail price any time soon.  Just one motor, 2-4 AA batteries and a battery holder alone will put you over $10, and that doesn't even include gears / wheels / chassis / micro-controller.

That's not retail, is it?  It's cost of materials...?  And the goal is $10-$100...?  I don't think $10 is practical even for cost of materials, but at least there's no profit getting skimmed off...  Tyler pointed out that it doesn't have to be a mobile robot -- could be (for instance) something on a stand, with 2 joints and some sort of actuator, more like a miniature industrial robot.  Or a snake-like thing but with only a few segments.  Or even just a fake "face".  Or...

P.P.S.  Hitting 430 kph (267 mph) on the Shanghai maglev train was awesome, especially when passing another maglev train going the other way.  :)   Got it on camera, but in the meantime just Google "430 kph in mph" and you'll see some YouTube links to the maglev train in action.

Whoa, awsome!  Want 2 see that...

-- Pat