Reminder: RVBC Field trip to Hanging Rock Observatory, Sat 7:30am

1 view

Roanoke Valley Bird Club

Nov 16, 2018, 8:06:13 AM11/16/18
to Roanoke Valley Bird Club

November 17, Saturday, 7:30AM
Hanging Rock Raptor Observatory in Union, WV
Meet co-leaders Betty Burke (540-597-3863) and Bob Crawford for a 1.5 hour drive
to the Hanging Rock Raptor Center near the Virginia/West Virginia border. The
drive time includes a quick pit-stop at the Hanging Bridge Restaurant & Shop in
Paint Bank, VA on the way to the observatory. This is an all-day trip, so bring a
packed lunch and water. Wear hiking boots for the one mile moderate to steep
walk up to the observatory tower from the parking lot. Also, wear layered clothing
as we will be cold and windy at 3,800 elevation. Carpooling is a must and there is a
port-a-potty at our destination.
The Hanging Rock Raptor Observatory is owned by the US Forest Department and
is supported by a non-profit group that monitors the migration of raptors. The
same day as this field trip in 2017 produced 16 Bald Eagles and 6 Golden Eagles.
The observatory is located on a rocky ridge with a 360 degree view.
For more information, visit
Directions: We will meet at the Orange Market at Hanging Rock, 1823 Thompson
Memorial Drive, Roanoke (just off of I-81 at either Exits 140 or 141). Yes, the Hanging
Rock where we will start our trip is not the same Hanging Rock where the observatory
is – just a coincidence.