Historic Downtown Wake Forest Criterium - 5/22

Tom Sheffield

Apr 18, 2011, 8:26:41 PM4/18/11
to road...@googlegroups.com, Robin Baxter, wahar...@gmail.com
Road Dogs,
On May 22nd we will have the rare pleasure of watching the Hammers suffer. Better yet, they've even asked us to watch.

If you're like me, you've been looking forward to this since the last time you watched a crit. Usually when the Hammers are planning to suffer, they ride off into the distance and the next time you see them they're standing around at the finish, pretending that it didn't hurt them one bit at all to leave you gasping in oxygen debt. Whenever I watch a crit I usually wonder "where would I be, if I were in this race", but that thought passes as quickly as the pace increases.

The Hammers are crazy! I love to stand near (I recommend inside) a corner and watch them lean into it, handlebar to handlebar, at 25mph or more. Especially if there's a dreaded (by me) manhole cover that they don't even seem to notice. Once upon a time (on a Sunday "recovery" ride out of Rolesville), I remember watching a Hammer (who is in the podium shot in the attached flyer) chase a dog back into its yard, while still riding his bike. So, I guess, they're crazy good. ;^)

They'd like for us to help THEM suffer. You can help build or take down the cage (referred to as the "course" in the attached flyer). Cage building starts at sunrise. The cage stays in place until the Hammerfest ends, when it needs to be disassembled - leaving only sweat and tears.

You also can choose to be a "Marshal". They say that the Marshals are there for the safety of the Hammers and spectators. I look at it as an opportunity to prolong the suffering, by preventing them from escaping from the cage...or getting lost.

If you would like to volunteer, contact John Baxter (jw...@mindspring.com).
-Tom

DWFC_Flyer 04012011.pdf

John & Robin Baxter

Apr 19, 2011, 8:41:00 PM4/19/11
to road...@googlegroups.com, raleigh-all-st...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tom, you did a great job describing the crit craziness! It would be
great if some of the Road Dogs could help. We need help with the following
times:

8:00 - 10:00
10:00 - 12:00
1:35 - 3:00
3:00 - 6:00

Please just shoot me an email and include the times that you are available.

Thanks,
John

Tom Sheffield

May 16, 2011, 6:24:13 AM5/16/11
to Robin Baxter, wahar...@gmail.com, <roaddogs@googlegroups.com>, <raleigh-all-star-cycling-team@googlegroups.com>
John,
"I love the smell of napalm in the morning." ;>)

Sign me up for 8am - Noon and let me know where I need to be @8am.
-Tom