Mountain Training Weekend - Starting 5/30

Allen Walker

May 29, 2012, 8:11:16 AM5/29/12
to raleig...@googlegroups.com, RevolutionCycleSports, gyroscyc...@googlegroups.com, road...@googlegroups.com
Good morning everyone! It is time to head to the mountains for the annual
Mountain Training Weekend. This is approximately the 20th year that we have
made the trek to either Asheville or Blowing Rock and it looks like we have
another great group put together to make this trek.

A minor change of plans...I am going to be unable to get away from work on
Wednesday so I am looking for a volunteer to lead the Wednesday ride from
West Jefferson for the "Triple Headed Snake" route. The route is the same
as in past years so please let me know who can help us out. Please email me
directly to let me know if you are willing to lead this ride and coordinate
departure plans tomorrow morning.

Andy Hart has been nice enough to forward the Garmin routes from last year's
ride from Thursday through Saturday so please familiarize yourself with
these routes as much as possible. The GPX files were too large to send to
everyone but a link to the routes are included below. If it helpful to send
individually, that may be an option.

Just a couple of reminders...

* ALL RIDES START AT 10 AM each day from the parking lot of the Boxwood
Lodge with the exception of the Wednesday ride.

* HOTEL INFORMATION: Boxwood Lodge, 671 Main Street
Blowing Rock, North Carolina 28605
828-295-9984

* Weather...be prepared for all weather conditions as it appears that the
temps will vary from upper 70's to mid 60's for highs. Arm warmers, vests
and knee warmers are recommended additions.

For final planning purposes, please email me to let me know which day you
will be joining the rides so that I can try to get a headcount.

Thanks and I look forward to seeing everyone later this week!

Thursday Ride: Blowing Beach
map: http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=238995

gpx file attached

Friday ride: Beech Ball On a String
map: http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=257966

gpx file attached

Saturday ride: Snake
map: http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=244571

gpx file: attached

Sunday easy - No drop roll up Hwy 221 from Blowing Rock to Blue Ridge
Parkway and then BRP back to Blowing Rock.

Jim Schneider

May 29, 2012, 11:17:38 AM5/29/12
to raleig...@googlegroups.com, RevolutionCycleSports, gyroscyc...@googlegroups.com, road...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,

I was just up there this past weekend. Here are some spots to be careful on.

* The back side of Snake was pretty good. Only one bad hole that I
could recall, but it was in a straighter section of the decent.
* 194 South from the Mast General Store up to the top before Banner
Elk has two one way sections with stop lights managing the traffic.
The downside is the bit of stress on whether or not you will make it
to the other light before traffic heads your way. The upside is a
break. Also, there is a lot of gravel in these one lane sections with
some holes and one light on the decent is around a blind curve. You
get a warning sign but then boom it and maybe a few cars are right
there.

So on Thursday haul @ss between the lights on 194. On Friday, be very
careful coming down. It is probably a good thing you are doing a
preview Thursday. You may also want to consider changing Friday and
coming back 184s to 105n. 105n is busy but it is mostly down hill
from 184 to Shulls Mill. So you should fly down the 10 miles at
30-50mph , just stay singled up and spread out a bit.

That's my .02
Jim
> --
> Disclaimer: You are advised that you ride at your own risk, our rides carry no insurance, and there is no corporation involved to have insurance. Bicycling can be a hazardous sport and is a means of transport, undertaken at your own risk; you must wear a helmet, headphones (earphones) are not allowed for the safety of the group. Please review  and familiarize yourself with the etiquette of group riding and North Carolina cycling laws.

Adam Perez

May 29, 2012, 4:53:39 PM5/29/12
to raleig...@googlegroups.com, RevolutionCycleSports, gyroscyc...@googlegroups.com, road...@googlegroups.com
Good afternoon.  For those enjoying an ultra short work week and coming out for Wednesday's ride below are the details:

Start Location: Ingles Parking lot in West Jefferson, NC  (http://goo.gl/maps/oPE9)
Start Time: 10:00 am
Route: Triple Headed Snake

The goal is to roll out as close to 10am as possible.  Please email me directly if you plan to attend so that we know who to look out for.

Lastly, a caravan will be departing from the Sheraton Imperial Hotel off of Page Rd. and Emperor Blvd. at 6:15am.

Cheers,

Adam

Tim Giresi (tgiresi)

May 29, 2012, 5:20:43 PM5/29/12
to Adam Perez, raleig...@googlegroups.com, RevolutionCycleSports, gyroscyc...@googlegroups.com, road...@googlegroups.com

The profile on that bad boy makes me weep.  Hate to miss this one, but see you on Thursday – stay safe and thirsty my friends..

http://www.cisco.com/global/EMEA/brand/signature/default/spacer.gif

Tim Giresi
Cisco Systems, Inc.
Mobile :
919-349-1833
eFax: 19198...@efaxsend.com

7025 Kit Creek Rd.
RTP, NC 27709-4987
www.cisco.com

http://www.cisco.com/global/EMEA/brand/signature/default/footerHead.gif

This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, use, distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete all copies of this message.

http://www.cisco.com/global/EMEA/brand/signature/default/footer.gif

image003.gif
image004.gif
image005.png