RndPhrase library status

Ronni Elken Lindsgaard

Oct 2, 2014, 8:29:05 AM10/2/14
to rndp...@googlegroups.com
Hi all

Last summer we talked on the list about making rndphrase a seperate js library, so it can be used modularly.

This project has been dormant for a while, however I have made an effort in getting it working.

The main idea was that it would be nice to be able to configure the output of the hashing algorithm to include special characters together with some other tweaks.

I have developed the library to a state where I think it is should be functionally, and now I need feedback as well as peer review on code.

The library is available at https://github.com/RndPhrase/RndPhrase.js at it can be seen in action on http://rndphra.se

The major difference, besides configuration, is that instead of a host, it uses an arbitrary uri to be able to make patterns such as google.com/rlindsgaard and google.com/ronni.lindsgaard give to separate hashes.

The UI still needs tweaking, bugs are
* case sensitive uris (this should maybe be fixed in the actual library)
* Checkbox should activate non-standard behaviour, such that configuration options are hidden per default
* Checkbox to deactivate a type of character instead of setting min & max to 0

Please check it out, comment either here or on github. http://rndphra.se is hosted on github as well at https://github.com/RndPhrase/RndPhrase.github.io

I am currently working on the firefox plugin as well, where the original password entry will be hidden from the DOM.

Johan Brinch

Oct 2, 2014, 9:03:43 AM10/2/14
to rndp...@googlegroups.com

On 2 October 2014 13:29, Ronni Elken Lindsgaard <ronni.li...@gmail.com> wrote:
Please check it out, comment either here or on github. http://rndphra.se is hosted on github as well at https://github.com/RndPhrase/RndPhrase.github.io

Is it possible to have that site also support the old pseudo-random function, now that the "official" site is down?

Ronni Elken Lindsgaard

Oct 2, 2014, 9:17:05 AM10/2/14
to rndp...@googlegroups.com
It should be fairly easy. The commit https://github.com/RndPhrase/RndPhrase.js/commit/ee5ed81efcf7e82ce045c909e6a12d5581a15c11 I believe has the same api as the current version, but generates passwords similar to the old function - at the same time it supports versioning. I think this is the best candidate for creating backwards compatability.

I don't know if you have made changes to the pseudo-random function since it was branched though.
--
Mvh
Ronni Elken Lindsgaard

Ronni Elken Lindsgaard

Oct 2, 2014, 10:27:18 AM10/2/14
to rndp...@googlegroups.com

http://rndphra.se#original works for me now.

Johan Brinch

Oct 2, 2014, 10:58:22 AM10/2/14
to rndp...@googlegroups.com

Can confirm that it's working for me too! Thanks! :-)

Can we call your new version 1.0, and the old version 0.9? We'll then work towards finalising the new version of the prf from this branch.

Can we make it super easy to use the old version in the extension, as that's what all our passwords are currently using? Maybe @ for the old version and something else for the new (both customisable)?

Ronni Elken Lindsgaard

Oct 2, 2014, 11:03:46 AM10/2/14
to rndp...@googlegroups.com
Can you test again? I think I messed something up getting the UI to work properly

What about using "#" for "hash" :) - that would require modularization of the packing algorithm, but it shouldn't be too hard. It's a good idea.

Ronni Elken Lindsgaard

Oct 2, 2014, 11:07:29 AM10/2/14
to rndp...@googlegroups.com

On 2 October 2014 17:03, Ronni Elken Lindsgaard <ronni.li...@gmail.com> wrote:

Can you test again? I think I messed something up getting the UI to work properly

nvm