No counts from SJ.out.tab

Yixuan Wan

May 16, 2023, 2:43:37 PM5/16/23
to rna-star
Hi Alex,

I am trying to generate SJ.out.tab files to quantify splice junctions with my RNA-seq data.

I used values from column 7/8 as read counts. I compared the counts pulled from SJ.out.tab with outputs from another tool, I found contradicting results from them. While SJ.out.tab indicates that there is no read (i.e., count = 0) in particular loci, the other tool provides reads. I also used IGV and saw splice reads from both .bam and .bed files, which seems to indicate that the problem lies with the counts I pulled from SJ.out.tab.

I guess I might do something wrong with my SJ.out.tab file. Do you have any suggestions?

Best Regards,
Yixuan

Alexander Dobin

May 16, 2023, 2:46:54 PM5/16/23
to rna-star
Hi Yixuan,

you would need to figure out which reads cross this junction, and then look at their alignments in the SAM file.
You can add jI and jM tags to the --outSAMattributes option to see which junctions the read overlaps.

Cheers
Alex