FATAL ERROR when using --parameterFiles

Babak A

Jun 19, 2022, 5:27:15 PM6/19/22
to rna-star
Hi Alex,

I am trying to use a parametersFiles, however, STAR cannot parse parameters from this file. Even when I use the ENCODE.txt parameters, I get the following error:

EXITING: FATAL INPUT ERROR: unrecognized parameter name "--outFilterType" in input "/path/to/file/ENCODE.txt"
SOLUTION: use correct parameter name (check the manual)

I am really not sure why STAR cannot parse and use this file. I tried multiple STAR versions, including 2.7.10a_alpha_220601.

Thanks,
Babak

Babak A

Jun 19, 2022, 11:01:45 PM6/19/22
to rna-star

It seems the workaround is to remove the double-dash "--" from the argument names.

Babak

Alexander Dobin

Jul 12, 2022, 12:35:55 PM7/12/22
to rna-star
Hi Babak,

sorry for the delayed reply. Yes, that correct - the double dashes are only used on the command line, in a "parameters" file each parameter has to start from a new line without double dashes.

Cheers
Alex