Do paired end fastqs still have to be consistently ordered?

Alexandre Amlie-Wolf

Dec 20, 2022, 4:05:11 PM12/20/22
to rna-star
Hi,

First off, thanks for developing an amazing tool! I'm processing some paired end data where the R1 and R2 files do not have the reads in the same order, and I found a post from 2016 where you wrote that STAR expects the paired fastq files to have the same orderings of reads (https://groups.google.com/g/rna-star/c/kwuP5XEfdPI/m/6msRLTQTBAAJ). Is this still the case as of v2.7.1a, the version I'm currently using?

I haven't gotten any warnings about it or anything, and I'm currently running some tests comparing sorted vs unsorted input, but figured I would check from the source!

Thanks,
Alex

Alexander Dobin

Dec 20, 2022, 4:16:26 PM12/20/22
to rna-star
Hi Alexandre,

yes, absolutely, the Read1 and Read2 files have to be ordered perfectly.
STAR does not check the ordering and if it's not maintained, it will not map improperly paired mates.

Alexandre Amlie-Wolf

Dec 20, 2022, 4:17:46 PM12/20/22
to rna-star
Hi Alex,

Makes sense and is definitely consistent with the tests I've been running. Thanks!