Options for 'GeneCounts' in Arabidopsis Thaliana

Gray

Jul 23, 2021, 8:39:57 PM7/23/21
to rna-star
Dear all,
I am relatively new to the field and I am trying to use STAR to do alignment and count in Arabidopsis Thaliana. The variety of options found in the literature has been overwhelming.
A list of options I am considering to use is below. I wonder if these options seem reasonable? In particular, would there be a reason to change below three options for Arabidopsis from their default?

 - alignSJDBoverhangMin
 - outFilterMismatchNmax
 - alignMatesGapMax

Many thanks for your help and reply beforehand,

Star [create genomic indices]

# STAR \
--runMode genomeGenerate \

--genomeDir ...\

--genomeFastaFiles ./Arabidopsis_thaliana.TAIR10.dna.toplevel.fa \

--sjdbGTFfile ./Arabidopsis_thaliana.TAIR10.50.gtf \

--sjdbOverhang 74 \
\## My ReadLength-1

--genomeSAindexNbases 12
\## log2(GenomeLength)/2 - 1=12.41

# Star [alignment]

STAR \
--quantMode GeneCounts \
--genomeDir ./ATGenoIndices \
--readFilesIn .... \
--outFileNamePrefix ... \

--outFilterMultimapNmax 20 \

--alignSJoverhangMin 8 \

--alignSJDBoverhangMin 3 \
# Default  (alternative 8?)

--outFilterMismatchNmax 10 \
# Default (alternative 8?)

--alignIntronMin 35 \
--alignIntronMax 2000 \
\## 99.3% of introns in AT are below this size based on doi:10.3390/genes8080200

--alignMatesGapMax 0 \
# Default (alternative 100,000?)

--readFilesCommand zcat