"Odnozvuchno gremit kolokolychik" (Однозвучно гремит колокольчик)

Tim Cook

Oct 10, 2018, 9:17:47 AM10/10/18
to rmda.us
RMDA friends and members,

Thank you for allowing me to join your group to ask this question. Would anyone happen to know how to get sheet music in four-part (SATB), or at least three-part a cappella for the Russian song "Odnozvuchno gremit kolokolychik" (Однозвучно гремит колокольчик, "Monotonously, the little bell is sounding")? I am an American living in Japan and have a group in Tokyo that sings shape-note music (i.e., music in the old American notation in which the shape of the noteheads determines their pitch—do, re, mi, etc). It's mostly early American hymns, plus Meiji-era Japanese songs that I have transcribed into shape notes. In our most recent gathering, one of the singers brought a Japanese hymn which he really likes. The attribution said "Russian folksong" in Japanese, but had as the tune name "Jag har hört om en stad," which I could tell was Swedish, not Russian. Being from a conventional Japanese hymnal, the hymn was written in round notes, which we struggled to sing, and not very successfully, but the harmonization didn't sound at all Russian. I promised the singer that I would transpose it into shape notes (much easier to learn than round notes, I might add) so we could all sing it next time, but I had a hunch that Russians singing a Russian song would sound better. I looked it up and it was the above song. Sure enough, when I listened to it, it blew me away, so painfully full of longing and memory it was, even without understanding the words. I prefer it far and away over the Swedish harmonization, but I'd like to transcribe both so we can hear the difference. If we go with the Russian version, I'll put the Japanese words back on it. Here's one version of the Russian:

Any leads are much appreciated. Many thanks.

Tim Cook
Iwaki, Japan