[Jobs] PhD in reinforement learning

C. Dimitrakakis

May 12, 2022, 3:42:09 PMMay 12
to Reinforcement Learning Mailing List
We are looking for a PhD student to join our group on reinforcement
learning and decision making under uncertainty more generally, at the
University of Neuchatel, Switzerland ( https://www.unine.ch/ ).  We
are looking for candidates with a strong research interest in reinforcement learning,
and particularly the following fields:

1. Exploration in reinforcement learning.
2. Decision making under partial information.
3. Representations of uncertainty in decision making.
4. Theory of reinforcement learning (e.g. PAC/regret bounds)
5. Human-AI collaboration.

The main supervisor will be Christos Dimitrakakis < https://sites.google.com/site/christosdimitrakakis >

Examples of our group's past and current research can be found on
arxiv:
https://arxiv.org/search/?searchtype=author&query=Dimitrakakis%2C+C. These
include work on Bayesian reinforcement learning, approximate planning, bandit problems,
 human-AI collaboration, inverse reinforcement learning, privacy and fairness.

The student will have the opportunity to visit and work with other group members at the University of Oslo, Norway ( https://www.mn.uio.no/ifi/english/people/aca/chridim/index.html ) and Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden ( http://www.cse.chalmers.se/~chrdimi/ ).

Excellent technical skills in calculus, linear algebra, probability as well as competence in at least one programming language is expected. In addition, the doctoral student must have a strong background, as evidenced by their master thesis, in one of the following areas:

1. Reinforcement learning.
2. Bayesian inference.
3. Game theory.
4. Economics.

*Starting date* 1 September 2022 or soon afterwards.
*Application deadline* 31 May 2022.
The PhD is fully funded, and normally lasts 4 years, with one course per semester as a teaching assistant.

To apply send an email to christos.d...@unine.ch with the subject 'PhD Neuchatel'.
An application must include:

1. A statement of research interests and motivation relevant to the position.
2. A CV with a list of references.
3. Your MSc thesis (or a draft) or another research work demonstrating your academic writing.
4. A degree transcript.