Choosing among policy classes

Warren Powell

Jul 7, 2021, 8:07:59 PM7/7/21
to Reinforcement Learning Mailing List
To my RL friends:

Easily the most common question I get regarding my four classes of policies is: how to choose?  This is one where my answer has slowly matured with my experience.

I just made a significant update to chapter 11:

The big change is a major revision of section 11.10 - Choosing the policy class.

I think this is a big step ahead of my previous attempts, and the first time it is starting to sound as if there is any formal reasoning behind it.

I would love comments on just this section.  You can  post your thoughts at

Warren

Warren B. Powell
Chief Analytics Officer, Optimal Dynamics
Professor Emeritus, Princeton University