Kinect Pin Art

MrHacks

Apr 3, 2011, 12:43:12 AM4/3/11
to RiverSpace STL
In case the Kinect doesn't have it yet, is anyone interested in
developing a
Pin Art program for the Kinect?
The goal of this project would be to create something much like the
David
Fincher/Nine Inch Nails video "Only" (
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwvLlEtxX3o )

The Kinect's ability to measure distance should make this program easy
write, but the need to rotate the viewpoint/perspecitive (whatever the
technical term is I can't recall) is needed. Thus, a bit of OpenGL may
be
required to get that similar effect from the Fincher video, which was
100%
CGI but probably took some effort to create a Pin Art Reznor.

Also, within the month I may consider purchasing a Kinect now that I
have my own group started. Should I get the version of the Kinect
that has the power adaptor or the version that doesn't have it. I
have OpenKinect (http://openkinect.org) installed on my netbook and by
the end of the month, I should have it on my desktop computer assuming
that Ubuntu 11.04 LTE comes out soon.

Stay tuned to my Tumblr site (http://mrhacks.tumblr.com) to see how
that works out.