Busted s a t a connector. Hints?

PYROcomp

Jan 2, 2012, 6:54:50 PM1/2/12
to sl4m...@yahoogroups.com, rivers...@googlegroups.com
2012-01-02_17-52-51_952.jpg

MrHacks

Jan 2, 2012, 9:50:36 PM1/2/12
to rivers...@googlegroups.com
Is it missing a pin on the Hard Drive or some other device?

On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 5:54 PM, PYROcomp <rexm...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
MrHacks.Tumblr.com

PYROcomp

Jan 2, 2012, 11:50:26 PM1/2/12
to rivers...@googlegroups.com
The L shaped plastic piece on the hard drive is completely broken off the drive.
This may be a job for the soldering iron  ;(

On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 20:50, MrHacks <bushid...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is it missing a pin on the Hard Drive or some other device?

On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 5:54 PM, PYROcomp <rexm...@gmail.com> wrot

MrHacks

Jan 3, 2012, 12:40:10 PM1/3/12
to rivers...@googlegroups.com
Soldering irons and plastic doesn't work very well. And arc welding a harddrive is the last thing you want to do.  Can the pins still make contact with  the connectors on an SATA wire.  If so, try putting them together.
--
MrHacks.Tumblr.com

PYROcomp

Jan 3, 2012, 12:56:07 PM1/3/12
to rivers...@googlegroups.com
the connector will not attach without the plastic.   I'm thinking solder a breakout or sacfrifice the end of a sata connector to solder the cable directly to the pins.  those are good just the plastic is missing.

efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. - Robert A. Heinlein

MrHacks

Jan 3, 2012, 1:57:25 PM1/3/12
to rivers...@googlegroups.com
Do you still have the L piece?  I'm trying to think of an adequate substitute in case you don't have it. (To be honest, I've never experienced such a problem like this.)

I don't suppose you have one of those devices that reads old disks and lets you use their contents through a USB port connector?  Something like this device: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0323860

PYROcomp

Jan 3, 2012, 2:13:45 PM1/3/12
to rivers...@googlegroups.com
I'll try to find that piece.
        .___.
      /          \
     | O _ O |
Don't mess with the penguin!

efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. - Robert A. Heinlein