Fresh install - newbie question: public river not displaying

daniel

Apr 13, 2012, 9:52:33 AM4/13/12
to river2
Hi,

I am Daniel, online editor for art magazine in Hamburg, Germany. I am
setting up a river of art news. I have river2 running on an EC2,
following the EC2 for poets tutorial. The river runs nicely on the EC2
and I can access it through Remote Desktop.

Accessing it over the web does not work however. I get this error:
"Can't display the river because the request to the JSON server timed
out"

Adress of the river is here: http://dbriverbucketlovelace.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/rivers/admin/

I can see the feed on admin.json though:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/dbriverbucketlovelace/rivers/admin/admin.json

Any guesses what I need to do to get this running?
Best
Daniel

Dave Winer

Apr 13, 2012, 10:07:23 AM4/13/12
to river2...@googlegroups.com
I've been working in that area for the last few days, so it's possible I broke something, and it's also possible there was a problem lurking in there. Let's figure out what's wrong and get you up and running.

I can see one problem right off the bat from doing a view-source on your river.

It's trying to get the data from your S3 bucket.

http://dbriverbucketlovelace.s3.amazonaws.com/admin/River3.js

I'm guessing that you set up the Static files prefs page to write to S3?

Of course that's totally cool, I just want to be sure that's what's going on.

Dave

Dave Winer

Apr 13, 2012, 10:14:46 AM4/13/12
to river2...@googlegroups.com
Never mind the question I asked.

I can see you're using S3, and that's good, and that you've set it up to access it as a website.

A lot of stuff is working. It looks like the software is making a mistake. I'm going to run through the process myself, step by step, and probably do some rewriting of the tutorial. This is an area where it is quite weak.

So give me a little time, and we'll get this fixed.

BTW, my maternal grandmother was from Hamburg. :-)

Dave

Dave Winer

Apr 13, 2012, 11:15:43 AM4/13/12
to river2...@googlegroups.com
Okay, I did whatever I could based on limited knowledge of how your system is configured to see if I could reproduce the problem, and I couldn't.

http://worknotes.scripting.com/april2012/41312ByDw/moreRiver2Checking/

Have a look and see how what I did compares with what you did in setting up your server to connect with S3.

Perhaps in seeing what I have done, with the screen shots I provided, you'll see something significantly different in your setup.

If not, I recommend throwing out this instance on EC2 and creating a new one. It takes very little time compared to the amount of time it takes to investigate. (I've already put a half hour into this myself.)

Dave

daniel

Apr 13, 2012, 11:23:38 PM4/13/12
to river2
Hi Dave,

thanks for the reply, I'm travelling today and tomorrow, so I will
investigate on monday. Looking at your notes I did things differently
with the urls and paths for S3, so thats probably where things went
wrong. T

Thats also where I got confused in the EC for poets tutorial, notes on
that will follow as well.

Daniel