Enabling Dropbox

johnk

Nov 19, 2011, 6:59:15 PM11/19/11
to river2
I'm a newbie user of River2, and trying to read my river via Dropbox.

River2 is set up and working okay, and in the preferences I have set
up my public Dropbox folder as my static River2 folder. But the static
folder remains blank, so there's obviously something else I need to do
but it's not clear to me. Do I also need to have the main server
static files folder in my Dropbox folder? Any advice would be
appreciated.

Dave Winer

Nov 19, 2011, 7:10:58 PM11/19/11
to river2...@googlegroups.com
Please take a screen shot of your Log page and post it to the list.

Or, maybe just looking at the Log page will give you some clues.

It's pretty much key to understanding what's happening (or not) in River2.

Dave

johnk

Nov 19, 2011, 7:40:02 PM11/19/11
to river2...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the prompt response. I've attached my log. When I click on the "News River" link in the log (http://127.0.0.1:5337/rivers/admin/index.html) I get the error message:

"Sorry! There was an error: There is no folder or object database named ".root" in the folder "C:\Program Files\OPML\Guest Databases\www\"."

I'm using Win7x64 and I have OPML installed at "C:\Program Files (x86)\OPML" -- might that be where my problem lies? (I can still view my working river at http://127.0.0.1:5337/river2/index).
log.png

Dave Winer

Nov 19, 2011, 7:46:22 PM11/19/11
to river2...@googlegroups.com
Now take a screen shot of the page where you tell it where your static folder is.

johnk

Nov 19, 2011, 7:49:22 PM11/19/11
to river2...@googlegroups.com
Screen shot of static folder page attached.
static.png

Dave Winer

Nov 19, 2011, 7:53:35 PM11/19/11
to river2...@googlegroups.com
That looks pretty good.

Let's see if other people have questions, things to look at.

I haven't set up a River2 recently, so it's not fresh in my mind.

Dave

Joera Mulders

Dec 12, 2011, 3:54:23 PM12/12/11
to river2...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dave & John,

I think that i am having the same issue as John. The index.html is not appearing in the folder.

Like John i found the static folder page in de OPML preferences (the 2010 blog post suggests one should look under RIver2 preferences )

In my River2 prefs the box to update static files is checked.

I have experimented with a wide range of paths for the file to be stored in, but not success

Any ideas about how to proceed? I'd really like to see this work.

Tanks and best wishes, Joera

Dave Winer

Dec 12, 2011, 4:09:10 PM12/12/11
to river2...@googlegroups.com
>>Any ideas about how to proceed? I'd really like to see this work.

Screen shots of the log page, and the urls that are being generated for the static files.

When debugging anything in River2, the log page is instrumental.

Also when you refer to docs that are out of date, *please* include the URL. Otherwise how can we fix the problem?

Dave

johnk

Dec 12, 2011, 6:21:37 PM12/12/11
to river2

For what it's worth, I never worked out a solution to this, so I took
the easy way out and used a directory monitor program to watch the
default OPML folder and copy the contents to my Dropbox folder when
the folder contents changed.

I use a program called File and Folder Watcher, there are several
alternatives.