New poets feature -- River2

Dave Winer

Apr 15, 2012, 12:45:52 PM4/15/12
to river2, frontier-user, world-...@googlegroups.com
Finally, the EC2 For Poets tutorial has the long-promised section on installing River2.

http://poets.scripting.com/#installingRiver2

That's done. Now I have a bunch more loose ends to tie up and we'll have a much tighter package.

Dave

Dave Winer

Apr 16, 2012, 11:59:12 AM4/16/12
to river2
We should switch this conversation over to the mail list in case someone else can help or has an idea.

Dave

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 11:48 AM, Daniel Boese <dab...@googlemail.com> wrote:
Hi Dave,

it works, no complaints this time!

The River:
http://ec2-107-20-72-224.compute-1.amazonaws.com/rivers/admin/

adn hello world:
http://ec2-107-20-72-224.compute-1.amazonaws.com/helloworld/

THe only question I have is about how to get the changes from the river on Ec2 applied to the static river thats accessible via the web. I unsubscribed a lot of feeds and added new ones, but they are not yet visible on the adress included above. I selected "Build" in the river2 homepage, but that only changed the name to "art magazines river", the feeds werent updated.

Is there more I can do than wait?`

Best

Daniel

2012/4/16 Dave Winer <dave....@gmail.com>
We love poets. :-)

Please let me know how it goes.

I'm anxious to know if it works, or if I have more fixing to do.

Dave

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 10:35 AM, Daniel Boese <dab...@googlemail.com> wrote:
great, explains things, I will do so.

I have been lurking on the list for about half a year, the great headline "for poets" got me hooked.
Daniel

2012/4/16 Dave Winer <dave....@gmail.com>
I switched the docs to use the new AMI, which is something I forgot to do before posting this email yesterday.

The current AMI is 21.

If that isn't the one you used, then trash this instance and start from the beginning.

Sorry -- you came in at a good time, which is also a bad time. :-)

Dave

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 9:47 AM, daniel <dab...@googlemail.com> wrote:
Hi Dave,

here is what I did: I followed your recommendations to set up a new instance (from here: http://worknotes.scripting.com/april2012/41312ByDw/moreRiver2Checking/ )

However, I am unable to find the admin-password, details of my steps are here:

created a new key pair
created a security group, set up http, https, rdp
launched the server with ec2forpoets15 AMI,
named my instance kittler, selected keys friedrich, security group ada
(there already was a "default" security group when I started AWS, that why I didnt name mine default and did not select default)

woke the server up via rdc: everything there opml, firefox

but in the folder "opml" there is no file adminPassword.txt
I attached a screenshot of the Folder opml
Thus, I didnt get to the exciting part of setting up the river and checking the S3-Bucket problems.

So far, greetings from sunny Hamburg
Daniel

Dave Winer

Apr 17, 2012, 9:22:54 AM4/17/12
to river2, frontier-user
Daniel, at first I had trouble understanding this report, but then I
decided to do it myself,to see what happens, then I understood and was
able to fix the problem.

http://worknotes.scripting.com/april2012/4171283753AmByDw/deletingFeeds

Moral of the story -- we need more newbies to try this out, and we
need them to tell us what went wrong! :-)

Dave