Android Rivers 0.41 is now available

Dody Gunawinata

Dec 3, 2012, 7:15:40 AM12/3/12
to river-...@googlegroups.com
Hi everybody,

This latest minor update contains a new sharing functionality and is available at http://goo.gl/dxK5w

Now you can share the link of the news item with other applications. It works especially well if you pair it with http://getpocket.com. This way you can quickly have Pocket to format and download the articles for your perusal later on. This share functionality is built in Android so there's only a few lines of code required to make this functionality work. I found the feature so appealing so I release it ahead of the UI updates release.

Cheers,

Dody G.

Mike Hellesen

Dec 3, 2012, 8:47:46 AM12/3/12
to river-...@googlegroups.com

Working great on my galaxy nexus 4.1.1. Love the built in share feature. I push all my long reads to pocket so I'm thankful for the option. Keep up the amazing work.

Are you going to be selling this app when its done or going with the ad/donation model?

Mike

Dody Gunawinata

Dec 3, 2012, 9:21:45 AM12/3/12
to river-of-news
Hi Mike,

Thanks for trying it out.

My goal is to achieve this
http://threads.scripting.com/81312ByDw/openarchitectureTwitterlikeEcoystem.

Android Rivers (https://github.com/dodyg/AndroidRivers) is just another player in that ecosystem. Android Rivers really depends on the production of high quality feeds and right now the news rivers offerings are quite limited in language (English). Ideally we'll have a diverse and multi lingual feed sources from different part of the world.

On the software space, I am aware only Dave has a solid offering and my server side stack is still  quite weak (https://github.com/dodyg/hobi-hobi).

So I am seeing the question of paid vs ad/donation as a funding strategy to provide resources for further development to achieve the primary goal. My current idea is to release two versions, free and paid. They both will have the exact amount of functionality/capabilities. For people that think that the goal is worth supporting, then they can purchase it instead.

If everything turns out alright, then we'll have an open, anti-fragile, distributed and scalable news system that everybody can participate and supported by a healthy and diverse ecosystem.
--
Dody Gunawinata
Chief Software Architect

Dave Winer

Dec 3, 2012, 9:29:55 AM12/3/12
to river-...@googlegroups.com
Dody, this is a great story.

Dody Gunawinata

Dec 4, 2012, 2:38:59 AM12/4/12
to river-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the kind words.

On Monday, December 3, 2012 4:29:55 PM UTC+2, Dave Winer wrote:
Dody, this is a great story.

On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 3:47 PM, Mike Hellesen wrote:

Working great on my galaxy nexus 4.1.1. Love the built in share feature. I push all my long reads to pocket so I'm thankful for the option. Keep up the amazing work.

Are you going to be selling this app when its done or going with the ad/donation model?

Mike

Michael Hellesen

Dec 3, 2012, 4:58:55 PM12/3/12
to river-...@googlegroups.com
Dody,

It's my pleasure. I've been hoping for two pieces of software for the last year and you're making one of them. For a lot of things webapps are great and the mobile version of of the output of a Poets server is great but there are cases where I want a dedicated app to prefetch the news while I'm out of signal range. Your software is an excellent start. Hopefully the second piece of a great OPML editor version for Android will come. I know a couple of people who write Android code and I've been slowly trying to prod them to develop it. With those two pieces we'd be well on our way to Dave's ecosystem. Once the initial code is written it's easier to sell developers on it as a viable idea and so I'm thankful for your efforts as they make a great path through the forest. I think you're right that we'll see a growing system of feeds in a diverse set of languages over time as the tools develop. People like you are the ones who make that happen and you're well on your way!

I'll be happy to purchase or donate for the app just as soon as you're ready to take the money. Independent developers need to be supported for their effort. I had hoped long ago when Twitter first appeared that they would make it a pay service but sadly they went for the easy money and now we're all suffering because of it. Keep up the good work!

Mike

Dody Gunawinata

Dec 7, 2012, 5:49:20 AM12/7/12
to river-...@googlegroups.com
Like they say, users and developers party together.