Time to jsonify my rivers

Michael Sullivan

Sep 7, 2012, 4:44:45 PM9/7/12
to river-...@googlegroups.com
Alright, i'm ready to build in support for this preferred new riverjs protocol.

I thought maybe I could get some feedback on the frontend design of my River template too.
Its just yet another bootstrap layout.
I've always used a top nav menu that links to other rivers by the same user but will take a stab at tab nav next.

An example River.

You may notice some items are tweets. I had worked in support for auto-discovery of twitter rss feeds and when river is parsed, it detects twitter feeds and includes a "get tweet" button to pull in the tweet from twitter's oembed endpoint with display requirements in tact. Unfortunately, Twitter will be removing RSS support in March but I can still make it work with json feeds, albeit with more work on my end.

Feel free to borrow code if you find any of it useful.

Thanks,
Michael

Paul Clark

Sep 7, 2012, 6:02:18 PM9/7/12
to river-...@googlegroups.com
Mike,

In terms of the UI, I don't like having to click "read more" on every post -- I want to just scan and go, but that's a completely personal preference. The way the beautiful river did it was to have a "compact view" option for those who wanted a more compact layout.

Regards,
Paul

Dody Gunawinata

Sep 8, 2012, 10:39:45 AM9/8/12
to river-...@googlegroups.com

Michael Sullivan

Sep 11, 2012, 1:59:12 PM9/11/12
to river-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the note.

Yeah I agree about having expand/collapse toggle. It is a personal pref. For me, I like to skim headlines first. If a headline catches my attention and I want to drill down into a summary, I will click, see the expanded summary and then from there choose to go to article or maybe use actions like "read later" or just continue skimming. I'm very much a minimalist and i prefer starting with less text on page unless I decide to see more.

With that said, i agree that the toggle button should be standard on rivers so i added div class toggle via jquery. it ignores manually toggled items however so i'll have to look into class detection and sync toggles.

Michael

Michael Sullivan

Sep 11, 2012, 4:51:18 PM9/11/12
to river-...@googlegroups.com
Another issue I see after simply adding the expand/collapse toggle....
You may have noticed some Twitter feeds in that sample River.
My system does auto-discovery of RSS including Twitter's RSS (which Twitter is removing in March, sadly).
In a River, the tweets are there as headlines intermixed with other feeds but their is a "Get Tweet" button that pulls in the "embedded Tweet" from Twitter's oembed endpoint.
The problem is, I chose to make this a manual request instead of loading multiple tweets at once to avoid prematurely reaching API limits.
It's also difficult to expand all and decipher twitter items from that same function.

I'll leave in the expand/collapse link regardless but it turns out its more complex in my system ;-)
I suppose I should just remove my Twitter support from Rivers.