Future topics: wish list and offerings

Michael McDermott

Oct 25, 2012, 8:11:26 PM10/25/12
to ri...@googlegroups.com
Hello folks,
It was a pleasure meeting many of you last night and thank you to both Jim Weirich and the folks who orchestrated his remote presence.

One of the followups was to start a thread so folks could weigh in on topics you would like to see presented and/or things you wight be willing to present.

To start off, I'd be happy to discuss my experience with JRuby, Torquebox, and integrating the Scala /Java actor library Akka with JRuby to allow for parallelism in native threads.

On the wish list end, I frequently have to connect to backend APIs and instead of doing one offs, I'd be interested hearing if anyone has experience with writing adapters for Datamapper or even writing their own data mapper pattern library.

Feel free to chime in.
Best,
Mike

Matt Gillooly

Oct 26, 2012, 2:06:41 AM10/26/12
to ri...@googlegroups.com
+1 for "integrating the Scala /Java actor library Akka with JRuby to allow for parallelism in native threads"

I'd also be curious about your thoughts on how that approach compares to using actors in Celluloid:

Eric Krause

Oct 26, 2012, 9:33:53 AM10/26/12
to ri...@googlegroups.com
Matt,
Were you saying you wanted to hear a talk on that, or that you would be willing to share some experiences?

Eric Krause

Michael McDermott

Oct 26, 2012, 10:50:43 AM10/26/12
to ri...@googlegroups.com
I am happy to share my experience on JRuby and Akka.  We are not to far off from a go live with actor based parallelism provisioning system.  Most all of our Ruby development these days is targeted towards Torquebox (a JBoss variant tuned toward JRuby).

I've no direct experience with Celluloid and expect it works well, but wonder how it would compare to Akka given the Ruby GIL.

On the wish list side, I'd love to hear from anyone with Data Mapper experience.

Bright Fulton

Oct 26, 2012, 12:02:08 PM10/26/12
to ri...@googlegroups.com
Michael, sounds interesting.  The Torquebox guys are great and I'd love to hear more about your experiences with JRuby and the Torquebox container.  I use their Boxgrinder to automate our AMI creation process, something I could give a quick overview of at some point if people are interested.

Also, if anyone is interested in learning more about Swipely's devops, cloud automation and security, consider coming to my talk at the next OWASP RI (https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Rhode_Island) on Wednesday 11/7 at 6pm.

Cheers.

Bright

Christopher Meiklejohn

Oct 26, 2012, 12:08:38 PM10/26/12
to ri...@googlegroups.com
I talked to some of the Torquebox guys at GoGaRuCo this year, and have deployed applications using bolth Trinidad and Torquebox under JRuby. The Trinidad applications I deployed were all pushed to Engine Yards cloud. Pretty neat stuff for sure.

Also +1 (can I give more than +1?) on Celluloid; Tony's a big fan of Erlang, and has modeled a good amount of it after actors and it's an amazing library to work with.

- Chris

--
Christopher Meiklejohn

Matt Gillooly

Oct 26, 2012, 3:08:44 PM10/26/12
to ri...@googlegroups.com
> Were you saying you wanted to hear a talk on that, or that you would be willing to share some experiences?

I've never used Scala, Akka, or Celluloid.  Just interested in learning more about them.

cheers,
Matt

Eric Krause

Nov 2, 2012, 9:23:39 PM11/2/12
to ri...@googlegroups.com
I'd love to hear how other people are implementing multi tenant applications.  Sharding, etc.  I'd also like to hear how people are decoupling their application components.
I'd also like to hear if anyone is actually using coffeescript.  It was a great discussion when it came out.  Does anyone actually use it?

Eric Krause

Christopher Meiklejohn

Nov 3, 2012, 12:01:28 AM11/3/12
to ri...@googlegroups.com
OT, but I'd be willing to give a talk on ClojureScript.

--
Christopher Meiklejohn

cpjol...@gmail.com

Nov 3, 2012, 8:52:28 AM11/3/12
to ri...@googlegroups.com
I've been using CoffeeScript quite a bit recently on client projects, mostly in conjunction with BackboneJS