Direkt zur ersten ungelesenen Nachricht

Mahmoud Fayed

ungelesen,
08.07.2022, 17:08:3608.07.22
an The Ring Programming Language
Hello

We can build the ring programming language on the MS-DOS platform

Starting from Ring 1.18 we will have (Ring For MS-DOS - Light Release)

Tested using

* Watcom C 386 9.01 (1992)
* Borland C 3.1 (1992)
* DOSBox-x 0.83.22 (2022)
* DOSBox 0.74

We use Watcom C 386 as our formal compiler on this platform

Ring uses DOS/4GW (32-bit DOS extender) to eliminate the 640 KB conventional memory limit

Screen Shots:

shot1.png

shot2.png

shot3.png

To build Ring for MS-DOS from source code

(1) Create the Ring folder that contains

(2) Install Watcom C 386 9.01 (1992)

We will provide the binary release starting from Ring 1.18

Greetings,
Mahmoud

Antonio F.S.

ungelesen,
08.07.2022, 17:26:4008.07.22
an ring...@googlegroups.com

Hello

Ring on MS-DOS - no graphics, no row and column control?  😮

Best regards.

Antonio F.S.

--

Mahmoud Fayed

ungelesen,
08.07.2022, 17:38:1408.07.22
an The Ring Programming Language
Hello Antonio

>> "Ring on MS-DOS - no graphics, no row and column control?"

These features could be added in the future by people interested in using Ring on this platform

I did this port for specific reasons
(1) To be more sure about the code quality of Ring Compiler & VM and the ability to build the source code using old compilers
(2) Testing Ring in slow environments
(3) Writing little scripts

So I am not going to invest more time on this platform myself, since what's already exist is enough for me.

For DOS we already have (CA-Clipper) - And I have created a complete GUI library for it in the past

SHOT2.JPG

SHOT3.JPG

Greetings
Mahmoud

Antonio F.S.

ungelesen,
08.07.2022, 18:00:1008.07.22
an ring...@googlegroups.com
Hello.

You mentioned Clipper and a "shiver" went through my body. :-) :-) I
also use Harbour but on Linux, could the library you created work in
this ecosystem?
Thanks.
Antonio F.S.

El 8/7/22 a las 23:38, Mahmoud Fayed escribió:

Mahmoud Fayed

ungelesen,
08.07.2022, 18:05:0508.07.22
an The Ring Programming Language
Hello Antonio

>> "You mentioned Clipper and a "shiver" went through my body. :-) :-) I"

Clipper was my first love :D (After DBASE |||+ )

>> "also use Harbour but on Linux, could the library you created work in this ecosystem?"

The library works only under MS-DOS

After CA-Clipper I switch to Visual FoxPro & Harbour
Then I developed PWCT using VFP to develop Harbour applications quickly

Greetings,
Mahmoud

Antonio F.S.

ungelesen,
08.07.2022, 18:13:5308.07.22
an ring...@googlegroups.com

Hello.

I celebrate that great love for Clipper. I came to it after Basic, Fortran and Cobol. :-).

It occurs to me that later, when I have a better understanding and practice with Ring, I could try to create a library in Harbour compiling it to C, so that it can be called from Ring and thus, incorporate text-mode applications in Ring from the Linux terminal. It's just an idea for the moment, as I lack the necessary knowledge to do so. :-) :-)

Best regards.
Antonio F.S.

El 9/7/22 a las 0:05, Mahmoud Fayed escribió:

Mansour Ayouni

ungelesen,
09.07.2022, 14:00:2809.07.22
an Antonio F.S., The Ring Programming Language
Hello Mahmoud,

What a nice idea!

Best,
Mansour

--

---

Mahmoud Fayed

ungelesen,
09.07.2022, 14:28:4909.07.22
an The Ring Programming Language
Hello Mansour

>> "What a nice idea!"

Thanks :D

Greetings,
Mahmoud

Mansour Ayouni

ungelesen,
18.09.2022, 05:25:2718.09.22
an The Ring Programming Language
Hello Mahmoud,

Since this feature is announced, I started reflecting on the deep message behind it...

Does this mean that we would be able to use Ring also on smart borads like arduino and micr:bit?

I would be happy to know that you have a plan in this direction, event if we should wait for it.

Best,
Mansour

Mahmoud Fayed

ungelesen,
18.09.2022, 16:01:4918.09.22
an The Ring Programming Language
Hello Mansour

>> "Does this mean that we would be able to use Ring also on smart borads like arduino and micr:bit?"

I don't see the benefit/value from using Ring VM directly on these devices
But there is an easy way which is building a domain-specific language using Ring that generate C code for Arduino

So instead of writing C code like this : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arduino#Sketch
You can generate this code from natural-commands using Ring natural library

When I developed PWCT, one of the developers created components to support Arduino : http://testingarduino.sourceforge.net/

Think of Ring & PWCT as a different way to create computer programs
By creating a domain-specific language that uses (Declarative programming, natural-language programming or visual programming)
Then generating the source code in another programming language (Like C or C++)

This way we get flexibility and usability from Ring/PWCT without missing the performance of C/C++

Greetings,
Mahmoud

Mansour Ayouni

ungelesen,
18.09.2022, 16:27:2818.09.22
an Mahmoud Fayed, The Ring Programming Language
Hello Mahmoud,

Welcome back!

Thank you for your clarification.

Best,
Mansour

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "The Ring Programming Language" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ring-lang/ae824ca2-012f-4c79-a997-f880a2bc3df6n%40googlegroups.com.

Mahmoud Fayed

ungelesen,
18.09.2022, 16:32:2918.09.22
an The Ring Programming Language
Hello Mansour

>> "Thank you for your clarification."

You are welcome :D

Greetings,
Mahmoud

Ilir

ungelesen,
18.09.2022, 17:03:1318.09.22
an The Ring Programming Language
Hello.All,

Ring2C (planned for the next year) will use Haxe to generate and compile:

1. C code using HashLink https://hashlink.haxe.org/
2. C++ code (Ring2C+) using HXCPP https://github.com/HaxeFoundation/hxcpp

Both are using Immix GC, proven to be fastest solution for garbage collection so far.

Reason I plan to use Haxe is because of its dynamic capabilities (needed for reflection, etc.) and because I have modest knowledge of it.
However, it remains to be seen how will that come into play because Ring is specific: centered around lists which do exists in Haxe, but they aren't binary compatible (problem at using existing external (dynamic) libraries I.have to think about).

Mansour Ayouni

ungelesen,
18.09.2022, 17:15:4618.09.22
an Ilir, The Ring Programming Language
Hello Ilir,

Nice challenge! Deserves attention.
Please write about it once it's achieved.

Best,
Mansour

Ilir

ungelesen,
18.09.2022, 17:44:4318.09.22
an The Ring Programming Language
Hello Mansour,

C/C++ generators are coming later, idea is to use ring2exe to generate either C or C++ executable.

At first Ring VM will get capability to run C code dynamically, making possible to convert some (for better performance) functions to C code.
This is a task A, which serves as plan B in case of the Haxe generators failure.

Greetings,
Ilir

Mansour Ayouni

ungelesen,
18.09.2022, 17:49:2918.09.22
an Ilir, The Ring Programming Language
Hello Ilir,

I see...

I think this will also be resolved (I mean the fact of running Ring code on little devices) when Ring2C will be achieved by Mahmoud in the future.

In my understanding, this will escape the use of RingVM and allows us to run our Ring programs directly on any platform supporting C...

Am I right? And what do you think? You and Mahmoud please...

Best,
Mansour

Ilir

ungelesen,
18.09.2022, 18:02:3218.09.22
an The Ring Programming Language
Hello Mansour,

if Mahmoud is planning to support C as one of the target languages for Ring, then I don't see myself doing that .

Yes, plan was (until now ;) to try to get Ring code generated as C/C++ code and then to make executable. However, that is not standard C/C++ because of the integrated garbage collector which might or not (depends how it is used) have impact on performance.
Still, much faster than using VM and of course: usable for the microcontroller, IoT, etc.

Mansour Ayouni

ungelesen,
18.09.2022, 18:05:0918.09.22
an Ilir, The Ring Programming Language