(Ratio/Simple) A language that steal the Ring programming language source code!

Mahmoud Fayed

Jun 20, 2021, 8:35:44 AM6/20/21
to The Ring Programming Language
Hello

(Ratio/Simple) A language that steal the Ring programming language source code!

In these folder, they are using our source code (Ring Compiler & VM) after removing our names!

Nothing wrong with reusing our source code in another project, but the authors must keep the license that include the original project name & website.

If they don't respond, we will contact GitHub to remove their project.

Greetings,
Mahmoud

Mahmoud Fayed

Jun 20, 2021, 8:59:11 AM6/20/21
to The Ring Programming Language
Hello

The problem is solved, They updated the README.md file of the project

Greetings,
Mahmoud

Mansour Ayouni

Jun 20, 2021, 9:00:33 AM6/20/21
to Mahmoud Fayed, The Ring Programming Language
Hello Mahmoud,

I think the guy has corrected the problem here:
image.png
Which is fair.

Best,
Mansour

--

---

Mahmoud Fayed

Jun 20, 2021, 9:03:00 AM6/20/21
to The Ring Programming Language
Hello Mansour

>> "I think the guy has corrected the problem here:"

Yes, very nice :D

Greetings,
Mahmoud

Ilir

Jun 20, 2021, 9:24:56 AM6/20/21
to The Ring Programming Language
Hello Mahmoud,

good catch. That's exactly why I want to release Ring2A as a closed source demo, limited in number of function calls (2 billion).

Idea is to stimulate users to hunt for bugs, and then grant unlimited version to the bug(s) finder.

To open the source code, either licence have to change (to GPL for example), or if it comes under the foundation umbrella.

What do you think, is my idea legal regarding your licence and OK to you?

Mahmoud Fayed

Jun 20, 2021, 9:42:53 AM6/20/21
to The Ring Programming Language
Hello Ilir

>> "Idea is to stimulate users to hunt for bugs, and then grant unlimited version to the bug(s) finder."

Very nice as a start

>> "To open the source code, either licence have to change (to GPL for example), or if it comes under the foundation umbrella.
What do you think, is my idea legal regarding your license and OK to you?"

I don't a problem with this, changing your fork license from (MIT License) to (GPL) is not a problem for me
(1) You are doing extra work and your free to set the license of your extra work
(2) You already did nice contributions to the Ring project, and your work in other forks will be useful for the community too
(3) Since we have the original Ring implementation under MIT License, Having other options with different licenses is a (+), i.e. very nice

Greetings,
Mahmoud

Ilir

Jun 20, 2021, 9:55:07 AM6/20/21
to The Ring Programming Language
Hello Mahmoud,

great, thanks. Now I only have to fix my own bugs. One passed under my radar: when I run goldmagic800 and press start new game (choose level menu just before game starts), Ring2A starts leaking memory. Looking back into source code history, I found it came after some change 6 months ago. Wonder what is causing it because that's only place where I detected memory leak.

Bert Mariani

Jun 20, 2021, 10:08:17 AM6/20/21
to The Ring Programming Language
Hello Mahmoud et ALL

Reminds me of the time RayLib  examples were being copied as Ring examples without giving credits or mentions to the original Author who wrote the RayLib code. The Authors name was be purposely removed.

Mansour Ayouni

Jun 20, 2021, 10:17:44 AM6/20/21
to Bert Mariani, The Ring Programming Language
Hello Bert,

Is it really the same case?

There, examples of code have been "ported" to Ring, and here the whole core code base of Ring is "copied" as-is...

Best,
Mansour

Mahmoud Fayed

Jun 20, 2021, 11:30:59 AM6/20/21
to The Ring Programming Language
Hello Bert

>> "Reminds me of the time RayLib  examples were being copied as Ring examples without giving credits or mentions to the original Author who wrote the RayLib"

From the beginning we added the Project Name (RayLib) & (Website) - Which is considered a citation - We don't claim that we write this code!
And later after your comments about each example copyright, we added the author name too.

But in this case, Ring Compiler & VM source code was copied, the author name was removed and replaced with another author, without any reference to the original project (Which I consider enough)

Greetings,
Mahmoud

Mahmoud Fayed

Jun 20, 2021, 11:41:48 AM6/20/21
to The Ring Programming Language
Hello Ilir

>> "One passed under my radar: when I run goldmagic800 and press start new game (choose level menu just before game starts), Ring2A starts leaking memory."

Using Dr. Memory or Valgrind you can detect the source code line that allocate the memory that miss a free() usage

By commenting/un-commenting lines of code in GoldMagic800 and testing, you can get the Ring source code that raise the problem

Greetings,
Mahmoud

Ilir

Jun 20, 2021, 12:36:04 PM6/20/21
to The Ring Programming Language
Hello Mahmoud,

thanks, will try, it seems I like old fashioned way: peek and poke :)

Mahmoud Fayed

Jun 20, 2021, 1:59:30 PM6/20/21
to The Ring Programming Language
Hello Ilir