Multilingual forms in Softanza functions

Mansour Ayouni

May 15, 2022, 6:32:51 PM5/15/22
to The Ring Programming Language
Hello All,

English is not the de facto option anymore, and you can talk to Softanza in any language…

All your code can be in Arabic or Chinese, for example, or you can use different languages in the same code!

image.png
NOTE: This feature is only "showcased" in this beta release, with some functions only of the library. It will be fully supported (for English, Arabic and French) when the development is finished.

Best regards,
Mansour

Mahmoud Fayed

May 15, 2022, 10:03:39 PM5/15/22
to The Ring Programming Language
Hello Mansour

>> "NOTE: This feature is only "showcased" in this beta release, with some functions only of the library. It will be fully supported (for English, Arabic and French) when the development is finished."

This feature is nice but it's not important at the current stage because Ring as a language still support English only
So investing your time in this feature  will delay the library development and increase the efforts to provide a feature that will not be used in the next future

When contributors provide Arabic and Chinese versions of Ring language, at this time it will make sense to translate the library and support these languages too.

Greetings,
Mahmoud

Mansour Ayouni

May 16, 2022, 3:49:14 AM5/16/22
to Mahmoud Fayed, The Ring Programming Language
Hello Mahmoud,

Thank you a lot for your reactions and constructive ideas!

This feature is nice but it's not important at the current stage because Ring as a language still support English only

No, Ring has a killer feature that is unique and made me take it as a choice in Softanza and the upcoming projects: the ChangeKeyWord feature!

I have translated (nearly) all the Ring keywords to Arabic  (the Softanza way, because semantic specificity is important here), but I didn't translate the Softanza functions themselves, which is very easy to do (just another @FunctionAlternativeForm).

So investing your time in this feature  will delay the library development and increase the efforts to provide a feature that will not be used in the next future

As explained above, and as you suggested, I let them later after the library is stabilized, so I do not do the same job twice.

When contributors provide Arabic and Chinese versions of the Ring language, at this time it will make sense to translate the library and support these languages too.

For sure, I'll be glad if someone in the community does that...

Actually, this is a fundamental piece in my programming project, and I'm not going to leave it to any doubt of being achieved or not.

In a few words, Softanza is just the "low level" foundation of the building I'm working on. My goal is to provide people (and myself) with a white page where they can talk to computers, in their languages, or in many languages at the same time; while mixing natural text and computer code in the same page... This is what I call "Computational Thinking" (which is more than "Programming").

Why am I working on this? To achieve my vision on applying "Computational Thinking" in education, gaming, text and data analytics, and open its door to non programmers, like creative designers, linguists, educators, business owners, and kids...

And what the final "product" will look like? Let's leave it to a future discussion so we stay focused on Softanza now :)

All the best,
Mansour

--

---