About the Introduction to the Type Hints Library.

Antonio F.S.

Oct 8, 2022, 7:19:31 PM10/8/22
to The Ring Programming Language
Hello.

Where can I find more detailed information about the 'Introduction to
the Type Hints Library'?

Kind regards.
Antonio F.S.

Ilir

Oct 8, 2022, 8:11:55 PM10/8/22
to The Ring Programming Language
Hello Antonio,

'Introduction to the Type Hints Library' basically contains all what you need. It defines C language types (used at pointers), Ring basic types (string,number,list) and some OOP keywords.

Type hints does nothing at the moment (no type checking is done by the Ring VM) except giving hints to the code editor or static analyses for example. There is no such tool to my knowledge yet.

In the future, Ring2C will use type hints to generate faster (statically typed) code. it is a task of the Ring VM to perform type checking, and task of the ring2exe tool to generate statically typed code (when and where possible).

Antonio F.S.

Oct 9, 2022, 5:48:36 AM10/9/22
to ring...@googlegroups.com
Hello Ilir.

In any case and given the impressive flexibility of Ring being able to
choose between several ways of programming, adding the one exposed by
this library so that the VM can control it too, would be great. I'm used
to do learning exercises in Java and, although I don't like that
language, I do find the mentioned syntax attractive because I already
have some practice with it.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.
Antonio F.S.

Ilir

Oct 9, 2022, 9:51:59 AM10/9/22
to The Ring Programming Language
Hello Antonio,

Thank you very much.

You're Welcome. Keep studding the Ring to find how simple and elegant it is. The "problem" of this language is that it is so simple that people start using it without reading documentation first. Including me ;)

Greetings,
Ilir