Buon in ring 1.19 ?

stefano cerbioni

Jan 26, 2024, 8:49:56 AMJan 26
to The Ring Programming Language
I believe I have found a bug in version 1.19 of Ring on Lubuntu 23 (Lubuntu is Ubuntu with LXQt). In practice, with version 1.19, the program doesn't work unless in the ENGINEDOM.ring file, you move the directive 'load "gameengine.ring" # Give Control to the Game Engine' before the block where it creates the GUI. Specifically, it needs to be moved to line 76. At that point, it works, but if you press a key and try to display the GUI, the program freezes. However, leaving everything as is with version 1.18 works perfectly. Why is that? Thanks to everyone.
TEST_GAME4.zip

Mahmoud Fayed

Jan 26, 2024, 9:01:27 AMJan 26
to The Ring Programming Language
Hello Stefano

It's not a bug
It's how this library is designed to work

Look at this part in the documentation and read the comments
Load "gameengine.ring" # Give Control to the Game Engine So using gameengine.ring already give the control to the game engine
And the game engine will call the Main() function later
It works this way (To support special requirements by Allegro on macOS)

Greetings,
Mahmoud

Mahmoud Fayed

Jan 26, 2024, 9:08:44 AMJan 26
to The Ring Programming Language
Hello Stefano

>> "Specifically, it needs to be moved to line 76. At that point, it works, but if you press a key and try to display the GUI, the program freezes"

If you did that, the code that create the GUI using RingQt will not be executed
Because gameengine.ring will get the control.

Greetings,
Mahmoud