FLTK

DenesL

Mar 2, 2023, 10:59:13 AM3/2/23
to The Ring Programming Language
Hi

Has anyone tried to create a ring wrapper for FLTK ?
Would it require the Visual C compiler or could it be created with gcc/g++ ?
AFAIK VC is not free.

Thanks,
Denes

Ilir

Mar 2, 2023, 12:55:11 PM3/2/23
to The Ring Programming Language
Hello Denes,

many years ago, I tried FLTK. It was interesting (lightweight), but missing native look and feel, something wxWidgets have. But why another GUI? What about Qt and Qt light we have?

You don't need VC, VSCode (or any other IDE) + cl (build tools) compiler are way to go.

Greetings,
Ilir

Mahmoud Fayed

Mar 2, 2023, 12:57:53 PM3/2/23
to The Ring Programming Language
Hello

They created a language called simple (no longer under development)
This language is based on the source code of the Ring language

One of their goals was supporting FLTK and using it instead of Qt

So In theory, it can be done (In general a don't see a problem in supporting any library written in C or C++, It just need time and experience with these languages + knowledge about Ring API)

>> " Would it require the Visual C compiler or could it be created with gcc/g++ ?"

We can use extensions developed using gcc/g++
If I remember correctly, RingQt itself did that in the past

Greetings,
Mahmoud

DenesL

Mar 2, 2023, 4:44:34 PM3/2/23
to The Ring Programming Language
Hi Ilir

Thanks for the info. I agree that FLTK is not the best looking and that wxwidgets would work too.
I might have misunderstood the Qt licensing, it seems that under LGPL3 your app doesn't have to be open source.

Regards,
Denes

DenesL

Mar 2, 2023, 4:50:04 PM3/2/23
to The Ring Programming Language
Hi Mahmoud,

Thanks for your reply and the info.

Regards,
Denes
Message has been deleted

Mahmoud Fayed

Mar 2, 2023, 4:52:36 PM3/2/23
to The Ring Programming Language
Hello DenesL

>> "Thanks for your reply and the info."

You are welcome :D

Greetings,
Mahmoud

DenesL

Mar 2, 2023, 6:06:29 PM3/2/23
to The Ring Programming Language
Hi again

After installing the build tools that Ilir referenced I tried the Hello World example from section 93.1 in the manual (buildvc.bat) but it does not find neither cl nor link. Being a newbie with this I need some hand-holding. Any hints would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Denes

Ilir

Mar 2, 2023, 6:18:28 PM3/2/23
to The Ring Programming Language
Hello Denes,

you should see Developer Command Prompt for VS 2022 installed in your programs (Start menu). From there, you can find cl requirements, usually done by

call "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual C++ Build Tools\vcbuildtools.bat" x86 (Ring uses 32 bit build on Windows)

Greetings,
Ilir

DenesL

Mar 3, 2023, 8:00:03 AM3/3/23
to The Ring Programming Language
Thank you Ilir, that worked perfectly

Regards,
Denes.
Message has been deleted

Ilir

Mar 3, 2023, 8:36:53 AM3/3/23
to The Ring Programming Language
Hello Denes,

You're Welcome.

Greetings,
Ilir

CalmoSoft

Mar 3, 2023, 9:40:25 AM3/3/23
to The Ring Programming Language
Hello Denes,

Which country are you from, because the Dénes is Hungarian first name?
I'm Hungarian and I'm interested if there are other Hungarians in the group.
Have a nice day, good work and a pleasant rest.

Greetings,
Gal Zsolt
(~ CalmoSoft ~)