Rightfield seems to be merging different ontologies

David Garcia

Jan 12, 2022, 7:20:48 AM1/12/22
to RightField
Hi

I would be grateful if you could help with an issue I'm facing.

I want to populate one cell with the complete list of terms from one ontology, and another cell with the complete list of terms of another ontology.

So, following the manual, I import both ontologies. In this case, both from BioPortal. So far so good, I see the two tabs to the right.

2022-01-12_13h12_55.png

So now I want to add the contents of the uo.owl ontology to one cell, and the contents of doid.owl to another cell.

So I click on the cell where I want to add the list from uo.owl, select the "uo.owl" tab to the right, click on the root element (Thing) and select "Direct subclasses". However, the list that appears in the "Allowed values" frame below does not only contain the values from UO ontology, but also from the other ontology as well!

As a matter of fact, regardless of which ontology I select, the list of Allowed values is the same

2022-01-12_13h15_56.png2022-01-12_13h16_09.png

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance

Stuart Owen

Jan 13, 2022, 5:56:55 AM1/13/22
to right...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

You need to select one of the classes from the top right panel. Internally, you are right the ontologies are merged, but this is only an issue if you pick Thing as a common ancestor.

regards,
Stuart

David Garcia

Jan 13, 2022, 6:21:40 AM1/13/22
to right...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stuart, thanks for your answer

I understand the issue comes from the fact that the root node is called the same for all ontologies ("Thing") , therefore all ontologies are merged at the root level, as they share the "Thing" element at the top.

The problem with this is that, since Rightfield does not allow to make multiple selections in the list to the right, and the user must choose only one node (from which they can select the subclasses included as well), this means that if you want to include all the values in an ontology, you must select the "Thing" item, and include the Subclasses.

For the example below, if I want to include all the values from this ontology, there´s no other way other than selecting "Thing", is there?

onto.pngç

Thank you

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "RightField" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rightfield/eed179ef-61bc-4083-182e-ae667490c2fc%40manchester.ac.uk.

Stuart Owen

Jan 18, 2022, 8:28:09 AM1/18/22
to right...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

Thanks for the explanation. I can see why this may be a problem now. Being able to select multiple parents would be tricky due the way the source is stored, but I've raised a bug to look at making sure the terms at the bottom reflect the selected tab - https://github.com/myGrid/RightField/issues/23

I'm currently working on something else, so I'm not sure what the ETA to fix this will be, but I do want to do a new release soon that includes an update to Apache POI that includes a fix for something else. So I will look into it as part of that.

regards,
Stuart