Fw: RFP for Providence College Making a Difference Fund Proposal: Youth Development & Advocacy

Lauren Parmelee

Oct 6, 2021, 12:25:20 PM10/6/21
to RIEEA Google Groups

Request for Proposal

Making a Difference Fund

Fall 2021

Background

For fourteen years, the Politics of Philanthropy course at Providence College has undertaken Philanthropy in Action, a project that provides students with practical, real-world philanthropic experiences. This semester, Providence College’s Politics of Philanthropy course continues to dedicate its efforts to combating injustices that affect our community. With support from the Learning by Giving Foundation, this semester’s Making a Difference Board will be granting a total of $50,000 to organizations in the greater Providence area. By doing so, we hope to support and continue to be involved with lasting, systemic positive change in our community.

Current Funding Priorities

This semester, we plan to fund up to five organizations that work in the area of youth development and advocacy, with a focus in one or more of the following areas: education equity, food security, LGBTQ+ inclusion, mental health, foster housing, and after-school programs. For the purposes of including all of these areas, the MAD Board has defined youth as ages 0-25. Youth development is an extremely important issue, as inequalities and injustices during childhood and adolescence continue to impact vulnerable groups throughout their adulthood. Organizations may be located in the greater Providence area (Providence, Pawtucket, Central Falls, Cranston, East Providence, North Providence, Warwick, and Woonsocket), with priority consideration given to organizations that primarily serve the City of Providence. In addition, we greatly value the importance of lasting, systemic change as opposed to immediate relief; therefore, priority consideration will be given to organizations that demonstrate a commitment to long-term advocacy and systemic change. Grantees may request any amount between $10,000 and $50,000. The exact number of recipients and grant amounts will be determined at the MAD Board’s discretion.

Accountability

The Making a Difference Board remains committed to continuous, lasting work in the field of youth development. We ask that each applicant present a plan of their expected use of funds, whether requested for operational or programming purposes, and commit to reporting back following the implementation of said plan. Continuing to stay involved with the cause is fundamental to our goals and core values.

Eligibility

To apply for Making a Difference funding, you must:

· Be registered as a 501(c)(3) organization. (Attach documentation of 501(c)(3) status)

· Provide a plan for what the grant money will go towards

· Must have offices located in (*define) and primarily serve the City of Providence

· Be aware that the Board may be conducting either an online or an in-person site visit when reviewing your organization’s application

· Be willing and able to meet and report the results of the grant to next year’s Making a Difference Board by September 2022

Process

Upon receipt of proposals from the organizations that choose to apply, the Board will convene to review the proposal and mission of each organization and will evaluate how they will use this grant to make a difference. Based on this analysis, the Board will reduce the list of organizations to be considered for a grant. This short list of organizations will receive communication from members of the Board to coordinate either an online meeting or an in-person site visit to evaluate these elements more in-depth. After these meetings, finalists will be selected for the grant(s). The organization(s) selected will be invited to join the MAD Board for a virtual or in-person ceremony (TBD) in their honor during the week of December 6, 2021.

Important Dates

· Applications must be submitted by email to providencep...@gmail.com no later than October 28, 2021

· We will confirm your submission within one week of receiving it

· The finalists will be notified the week of November 1, 2021

· Virtual meetings and/or site visits will occur between November 5-15, 2021

· Grant recipients will be notified by November 19, 2021

· Ceremony to present awards to grant recipient(s) will be held the week of December 6, 2021

· With any questions or comments please contact the Making a Difference Board at providencep...@gmail.com

PROVIDENCE COLLEGE

MAKING A DIFFERENCE FUND

PROPOSAL FORM – Fall 2021

Legal name of organization:

Organization website:

Address:

Contact person (include position):

Phone:

Email:

Amount Requested: ($10,000-$50,000)

State your organization's mission:

What are your short-term and long-term goals and objectives? (Approx. : 400 words)

Which aspects of the MAD Board’s funding priorities (youth development in education equity, food security, LGBTQ+ inclusion, mental health, foster housing, and after-school programs) does your organization do work in?

How will your organization use this grant to meet your goals and foster a sustainable impact? (Approx. : 400 words)

Does your organization have adequate technology (computer, webcam) in order to attend virtual meetings & site visits (Zoom, Microsoft Teams)?

At the time of applying, what is your organization’s preference on virtual or in-person meetings and site visits? (Please note that a preference for either virtual or in-person meetings will not affect your application.)

These attachments must accompany the proposal:

1. IRS letter confirming tax-exempt status - 501(c)(3)

2. Your organization’s most recent 990 form

3. Formal budget and budget narrative around your plan for the grant amount requested (including any matching funds or in-kind contributions)

4. Any additional information that you feel would be important for the MAD board to review during this process

Please return to: providencep...@gmail.com by October 28, 2021

Janice

Janice Pothier Pac

Senior Program Officer, Volunteer Engagement & Volunteer Center Manager

Strengths: CONNECTEDNESS/LEARNER/INTELLECTION/ACHIEVER/RESPONSIBILITY

Pronouns: she/her/hers

United Way of Rhode Island

50 Valley Street, Providence, RI 02909

401-444-0634 (O); 508-878-6252 (C)

Janice.p...@UnitedWayRI.org

Join us for our 95th Annual Celebration on October 26.

This email message may contain confidential information belonging to the sender. If you are not the intended recipient, the disclosure, dissemination, distribution, copying, or use of the information contained in this email message or any attachment is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient please notify United Way of Rhode Island at (401) 444-0600 and purge this email from your computer system immediately.