redesigning a widget or finding a new use for one

davidinbyron

Jun 22, 2012, 2:22:23 PM6/22/12
to rics-inve...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ric, I have an idea which uses the common screw principal for a  practical application. But its not a common screw as such i have in mind for the application, it is a differring form of it..... infact i have two different applications in mind which calls for two different forms for two different jobs. As it is such a basic and commonly used principal is a redesign of something so basic patentable (not withstanding that this redesign has not already been done before but not seen in the market place)?

What if a different use for the same principal is found...... for example    What if I found an application for chewing gum other than for chewing.... Does this diferent application make it repatentable?

Ric Richardson

Jun 25, 2012, 8:37:11 PM6/25/12
to rics-inve...@googlegroups.com
Applications can't be patented. Only methods or systems. If your approach requires a change or customization to an existing patent then that change can be patented as long as its not obvious ie novel. R