How do you approach a large company with an idea so you don't get ripped off?

Larry

May 23, 2012, 9:03:01 AM5/23/12
to rics-inve...@googlegroups.com

I have an idea for an app but I think would be better as a extra thing that facebook could offer, or the google equivalent.
I could develop the app but I don't have any experience in app development and am worried I might loose the idea at the first stage.
should I file a provisional patent, and then try an approach??, but who do you approach first in a large company??
I'm also don't know what to patent, or even the legalities of the idea, Is there someone that you could recommend I could talk to??.

Ric Richardson

May 27, 2012, 7:42:27 PM5/27/12
to rics-inve...@googlegroups.com
A US based website says the following citing US patent law

http://www.asktheinventors.com/faq.html

Until your idea is protected, it is better to tell as few people as possible. In inventing, the first person to apply for a patent is usually the one who receives it. Because the USPTO observes the one-year rule in regard to patent applications, it is vitally important to always obtain a signed non-disclosure agreement (NDA) for your files before revealing your idea to others. As long as you have gotten a signed NDA before showing or discussing your invention, it is not counted as a public disclosure.

Public Disclosure
The USPTO has a One-Year Rule that requires that your patent application is filed within one year of the first Public Disclosure. A public disclosure can be any of the following situations:  showing or describing the invention without first obtaining a signed NDA, describing it in a published document, offering the invention for sale or actually selling it. If you fail to apply for a patent within one year of any of the above instances, the invention will be considered to be in the public domain and not eligible for a patent.

Personally, I give my ideas 1 year to happen or then make public domain... this helps me commit.
The trick for you is has there been any public disclosure? If not then you should be able to refile but if its important Id spend a half hour with an attorney just to make sure... NO MORE aq half hour.. don't get sucked in.