persisting ri_cal

walt_die

Jun 24, 2011, 4:14:15 AM6/24/11
to RiCal
First allow me to pay homage to your ri_cal, rick! If gems
had_classified, ri_cal would clearly classify_as 'diamond' !

My question is - how do you/we persist the ri_cal?

I know that *.ics is all over the place but my consideration is
whether this is the optimal way of persisting the calendars when using
the ri_cal in enterprises!?

A 100 employee enterprise would immediately add 4-digit number of
events to scores of calendars and apart from keeping the entire
'circus' in memory, ready to query by other (ruby) processes - I
wonder what the best practice is, pertaining to persisting and
selecting events for

- displaying
- starting cron-like jobs
- sounding alarms
- etc

I'm sorry that I am not able to bring a lot to the table, except for
(noob?) questions :(

cheers,
walther

Adam Williams

Jun 27, 2011, 11:12:20 AM6/27/11
to rica...@googlegroups.com
This is a discussion that may be worth reading: http://groups.google.com/group/rical_gem/browse_thread/thread/af2ea857b76c01b9/dae7f3a4bfcc8eaa

walt_die

Jun 27, 2011, 1:21:03 PM6/27/11
to RiCal
Indeed - but did that discussion lead to anything? (please - I'm not
sarcastic, ironic or anything - just curious)

Right now, I'm looking into 'glueing' http://fullcalendar.vinsol.com/,
https://github.com/fnando/recurrence and ri_cal together with a
database backed model of my own design - which is the next best thing!
I was hoping that other more experienced developers (with a lot more
black-belt fu) had pathed the way :(

If the 'discussion group members' are still up for the task, I'd
gladly join with what ever wisdom I could materialize <:)

Cheers,
Walther

On 27 Jun., 17:12, Adam Williams <a...@thewilliams.ws> wrote:
> This is a discussion that may be worth reading:http://groups.google.com/group/rical_gem/browse_thread/thread/af2ea85...

Adam Williams

Jun 27, 2011, 1:43:48 PM6/27/11
to rica...@googlegroups.com
On Jun 27, 2011, at 1:21 PM, walt_die wrote:

> Indeed - but did that discussion lead to anything? (please - I'm not
> sarcastic, ironic or anything - just curious)

Good question, and no offense taken! It never did go anywhere to my knowledge. I hoped it could give you some leads on what kinds of issues might be worth consideration.

Adam

Rick DeNatale

Jun 27, 2011, 2:09:10 PM6/27/11
to rica...@googlegroups.com
Adam is correct.

While I outlined an approach in the referenced conversation, I'm not sure that such things can really be defined in general outside of a particular application.  Better, I think, to at least get one or more applications which do this themselves to drive out the use cases.

Right now I have neither the time, or frankly the need to pursue a general (or even a specific) persistance gem.

--
Rick DeNatale

Github: http://github.com/rubyredrick
Twitter: @RickDeNatale

walt_die

Jun 28, 2011, 7:19:43 AM6/28/11
to RiCal
Oh it did - certainly!

I'm contemplating the idea of setting up a calendar open source
project - would you consider joining, if I may be so bold as to ask?

Rick states further down that he has no time nor need for a calendar -
but with his ri_cal, I'd certainly cross my fingers hoping to have him
'on-board'

Cheers,
Walther

Adam Williams

Jun 28, 2011, 10:49:58 AM6/28/11
to rica...@googlegroups.com
Hey Walther,

I confess it's tempting, but the truth is, I don't have time or need myself right now. If ever that changes, I'll post to this list! May the knack be with you.

Adam