Recent journal articles about ribosomes

William Knight

Feb 27, 2005, 2:54:06 PM2/27/05
to ribo...@googlegroups.com
The Feb. 7 edition of FEBS Letters highlights 'Molecular Mechanisms of
Biological Systems' and includes a number of short review articles
about ribosomes and translation. The editorial by von Heijne and Liljas
takes note of the growing number of detailed descriptions of complex
systems such as the translation machinery. They also emphasize the
challenge to move beyond the current descriptive capability to a future
where we can make quantitative predictions from these macromolecular
models.

I wholeheartedly agree with their assessment and look forward to
exciting progress in this area in the coming years. A list of some of
the ribosome-related articles in this issue is given below. For those
members of this group that do not have direct access to the journal, I
would be happy to provide further details and discussion of any of
these articles as desired. I would also encourage others to contribute
posts about recent ribosome-releated articles and news.

The 30S ribosomal P site: a function of 16S rRNA,
Noller HF, Hoang L, Fredrick K.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15680962

Recognition and selection of tRNA in translation.
Rodnina MV, Gromadski KB, Kothe U, Wieden HJ.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15680978

The role of tRNA as a molecular spring in decoding, accommodation, and
peptidyl transfer.
Frank J, Sengupta J, Gao H, Li W, Valle M, Zavialov A, Ehrenberg M.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15680982

>From peptide-bond formation to cotranslational folding: dynamic,
regulatory and evolutionary aspects.
Baram D, Yonath A.