Data Rates

Justen Gardner

Jun 15, 2020, 6:34:43 PM6/15/20
to Rhythm Badges
By my calculation (using info from Michael Hopfengartner's Master's thesis), the badges will need to communicate with a hub every couple minutes in order to avoid losing data. Can you let me know if I have the right order of magnitude for that calculation? Do you have any estimates for the amount of time it takes to fill up the memory on the badges? Thanks.

Oren Lederman

Jun 17, 2020, 11:54:26 AM6/17/20
to Justen Gardner, Rhythm Badges
Hi Justen,

I honestly can't remember the calculation for Michael's version, but for the version prior to that one, we set it so it could store up to about 70 minutes of audio, and several good hours of proximity. Michael's version is slightly less efficient in terms of memory use, but much more flexible.

Keep in mind that pulling a whole hour of audio data from a badge may take a couple of minutes.  It's important to keep a good ratio of base stations (raspberry pis) to badges to make sure they can pull the data fast enough.

Oren