Using Rhino Mocks in .Net Framework 1.1

Rodrigo Proença

Jun 20, 2014, 2:27:01 PM6/20/14
to rhino...@googlegroups.com
Reading articles about Rhino Mocks on the Internet I can see that it's compatible with .Net Framework 1.1. But when I try to add the reference to Rhino.Mocks.dll in my project (Visual Studio 2003) I receive the following error:

"A reference to 'C:\[my_project_path]\Assemblies\Rhino.Mocks.dll' could not be added. This is not a valid assembly or COM component.  Only assemblies with extension 'dll' and COM components can be referenced.  Please make sure that the file is accessible, and that it is a valid assembly or COM component."

I'm using Rhino Mocks version 3.6 that I downloaded from http://www.hibernatingrhinos.com/downloads/rhino-mocks/latest.

To use Rhino in VS2003 with .Net Framework 1.1 should I download an older version of the Rhino Mocks?

Thank you.

Rodrigo.

Jonathon Rossi

Jun 23, 2014, 3:39:18 AM6/23/14
to rhino...@googlegroups.com
To preface my reply, you are pretty much on your own with .NET 1.1 and VS2003. You are talking about a runtime that is over a decade old and completely unsupported by Microsoft except on Windows Server 2003. Adding mocking support without upgrading seems counterintuitive, especially since the old versions of Rhino Mocks use an ugly and much more complicated syntax.

With that said, you could download the source code and try to give it a go. Note that those old .NET 1.1 versions use Castle DynamicProxy 1.x, also completely unsupported today. Here is a link to an old version of the source code that looks like it still works on that version just before 1.1 support was dropped:

Jono