[Bike to the Future] September newsletter

Bike to the Future

Sep 22, 2010, 7:19:36 PM9/22/10
to Bike to the Future announcements
Hello Bike to the Future members and supporters. This newsletter contains the following items:

1. Minutes from our September Monthly Meeting
2. City Cycling course -- City of Winnipeg Leisure Guide
3. Bike Shorts Film Festival
4. City Committee Meeting to discuss the discuss the Civic Election on October 27th
5. UofManitoba Sustainability Day (volunteers needed for BttF)
6. Volunteers needed to lead two special initiatives
7. BttF membership

Kevin Miller
Bike to the Future, Co-Chair
biketothefuture.org
_____________________________

Minutes from our September Monthly Meeting

The September Monthly Meeting minutes have been posted at biketothefuture.org/about/meetings.
____________________________

City Cycling course -- City of Winnipeg Leisure Guide

A City Cycling course appears on page 87 of the City of Winnipeg's Fall 2010 Leisure Guide. It's being offered twice:
  • Fort Rouge Leisure Centre (625 Osborne St), Saturday September 25th from noon to 4:00 PM
  • St John’s Leisure Centre (601 Aikins St), Sunday October 3rd from noon to 4:00 PM
Instructor: Can-Bike trained (Bike to the Future's Safety & Education Committee)

Complete info
____________________________

Bike Shorts Film Festival

The Bike Shorts Film Festival showcases 25 films that celebrate bikes at work and play. It has been shown in a number of Canadian cities in the past 10 years, including Winnipeg in 2008 and 2009. This is a new version with new films, including last year's locally-produced "Fan Favorite" (Bring The Kid Outta Ya by Brent Miller), which is part of the international set of films this year.

There will be two showings on two nights:
Monday September 27th and Tuesday September 28th at 7:00 PM at Cinematheque, 100 Arthur Street (Artspace building)

Doors open at 6:00 PM. Come early and see some art from the Push Pedal Stride Art Show in the lobby.

Complete info (tickets, a poster with info about the films, bike valet, etc)
____________________________

City Committee Meeting to discuss the discuss the Civic Election on October 27th

  • Monday September 27th from 5:00 to 6:30 PM (so we have time to get to the Bike Shorts Film Festival at 7:00 PM)
  • Sport For Life Centre, 145 Pacific Ave at Lily St in the east Exchange

Bike to the Future's City Committee will be meeting to discuss a candidate questionnaire for the Civic Election on October 27th.

More
____________________________

UofManitoba Sustainability Day (volunteers needed for BttF)

Tuesday October 5th from 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM, in University Centre at the University of Manitoba

The purpose of the day is to raise environmental awareness on campus and bring attention to major environmental issues on campus. More info.

Bike to the Future has been invited to participate, but we'll need volunteers to do it. We have a display that can be set up and left with pick-up brochures, but it would be even more useful if someone was available to sell memberships and be our "face",
especially around noon. If you're interested, please contact us.
____________________________

Volunteers needed to lead two special initiatives

Bike to the Future needs two volunteers ... to each lead a special initiative.

1. Ride of Silence

It’s a one hour (~20km at ~20KPH) silent ride held worldwide on the 3rd Wednesday in May at 7:00 PM to honour cyclists who have been killed or injured while cycling on public roadways, followed by a memorial. BttF would like to organize a Ride of Silence on May 18, 2011. A volunteer is needed to lead the organization of it.

2. Regional Cycling Improvement Coordinators

Earlier this year, Anders Swanson began facilitating regional representation that will allow more people to connect with Bike to the Future, and will allow for more regional cycling action. Anders is involved in so many bicycling advocacy initiatives as a volunteer that he doesn't have time to devote to leading this initiative, so we need a volunteer to make it happen ... to meet with Anders, hear about all his ideas, and begin implementing a network of Regional Cycling Improvement Coordinators.

Very detailed info about these two initiatives

If you are interested in either of these initiatives, please
contact us.

BttF membership

Members of Bike to the Future agree with our mission and vision and support it. We are a volunteer-run, incorporated, non-profit organization that is only as strong as our membership. Please show your support for our work by becoming a member or renewing your membership.

Get Involved

Our website at biketothefuture.org is updated often.