[Bike to the Future] August news (Ciclovia, Bike Shorts Film Festival, much more)

Bike to the Future

Aug 30, 2010, 10:43:37 PM8/30/10
to Bike to the Future announcements
Hello Bike to the Future members and supporters. This newsletter contains the following items:

1. Minutes from our July Monthly Meeting
2. Our next Monthly Meeting is on Tuesday September 14th at a to-be-determined-location
3. You Never Bike Alone -- film
4. Push Pedal Stride Art Show
5. Ciclovia
6. Bicycle Valet Winnipeg
7. Lunch & Learn: Basic Bike Maintenance
8. Bike Shorts Film Festival
9. BttF membership

Kevin Miller
Bike to the Future, Co-Chair
http://biketothefuture.org
_____________________________

Minutes from our July Monthly Meeting

The July Monthly Meeting minutes have been posted at http://biketothefuture.org/about/meetings. The August Monthly Meeting was canceled.
____________________________

Our next Monthly Meeting is on Tuesday September 14th at a to-be-determined location

(The Sport for Life Centre and Manitoba Eco-Centre are both unavailable.)

Bike to the Future meets on the 2nd Tuesday of the month at 5:30. Anyone is welcome to attend.

A tentative agenda for the September Monthly Meeting has been posted at http://biketothefuture.org/events/archives/2010/08/30/september-monthly-meeting.
____________________________

You Never Bike Alone -- film

What: An 80 minute film about Critical Mass.
When: Two showings -- Wednesday September 1st and Thursday September 2nd, 7:00 PM
Where: Cinematheque, 100 Arthur Street (Artspace building)
Info: http://www.winnipegfilmgroup.com/cinematheque/bike_alone.aspx
____________________________

Push Pedal Stride Art Show

Active transportation art at Grafitti Gallery, 109 Higgins Ave between Waterfront Drive & Gomez St.

The Opening Reception is on Thursday September 9th from 7:00 to 11:00 PM.
Free admission with a non-perishable food item.
Live Music by Krazy Kingz.
Coffee, tea, pop, juices, snacks, and liquor are available for purchase.
A free bicycle valet will be provided by Bicycle Valet Winnipeg.

The Push Pedal Stride Art Show will be on display until November 4th.

Complete info
____________________________

Ciclovia

Now in its second year, Ciclovia (Sunday September 12th from 11:00 AM to 7:00 PM) is a free eco-friendly, healthy-lifestyles festival and active transportation event that will see the north side of Broadway closed from Osborne Street to Main Street, creating a network of car-free streets from Assiniboine Park all the way to The Forks. Cycle, walk, in-line skate, skateboard, scooter ... whatever!

Throughout the day, jump into a fitness class, explore the farmers' market, kids' zone, bike demos, and craft market, or enjoy music, the RBC Blue Water Zone, and so much more.

Hosted by the Downtown Winnipeg BIZ, with assistance from a variety of community organizations, Ciclovia attracted upwards of 10,000 people in 2009. This year we hope for even more.

Complete info

Join the fun as a volunteer
____________________________

Bicycle Valet Winnipeg

Bicycle Valet Winnipeg is a new (July 2010) project of Bike to the Future. Its aim is to work with event promoters to offer a Bicycle Valet at events to reduce traffic and parking congestion, and encourage active transportation use in Winnipeg. Having a safe place to park their wheels (bicycles, skates, skateboards, running strollers) will encourage people to choose an active lifestyle, and increase the use of Winnipeg's growing active transportation infrastructure.

With the support of sponsors and event promoters, Bicycle Valet Winnipeg will provide this free service to active transportation users.

bicyclevaletwinnipeg.ca

Volunteers needed

Bicycle Valet Winnipeg needs volunteers for 60 positions to help operate several bicycle valets during the Manitoba Homecoming weekend: Saturday & Sunday, September 11th & 12th. We currently have 20 positions filled.

We will be located at the Winnipeg Convention Centre for the Winnipeg Green Lifestyle & Organic Living show, and we will be having another bicycle valet in Memorial Park on Broadway for Ciclovia, Taste of Downtown, Lights on Broadway, Big Dance on Broadway, and the 10 + 10 running race.

On September 12th, we will also be operating a bicycle valet at the Winnipeg Blue Bombers game. Our previous events this year include Bike to Work Day, Orioles Community Centre Family Days, MEC Bikefest, and the Winnipeg Blue Bombers game on July 24th.

For more information or to volunteer, please e-mail volu...@bicyclevaletwinnipeg.ca.
____________________________

Lunch & Learn: Basic Bike Maintenance

Monday September 21st from 12:15 to 1:00 PM at the Eco-Centre Boardroom, 303 Portage Ave at Donald St, 3rd floor.

Join Bike to the Future's Dave Elmore to learn some of the basic safety checks and maintenance that you need to know to keep your bike running smoothly, and most importantly, in safe working order. Some of the areas that will be covered include:
  • An ABC Quick Check that will ensure your ride is safe.
  • A review of some basic maintenance items that will keep your bike in good operating condition.
  • How to fix a flat tire quickly and efficiently. (Learn some tricks to make this unfortunate reality a bit easier to deal with.)
Dave will stick around afterwards to answer specific questions.

RSVP: Lise at 947-6511 or in...@mbeconetwork.org.
____________________________

Bike Shorts Film Festival

The Bike Shorts Film Festival has been shown in a number of Canadian cities in the past 10 years, including Winnipeg in 2008 and 2009. This is a new version with new films.

There will be two showings on two nights this year:
Monday September 27th and Tuesday September 28th at 7:00 PM at Cinematheque, 100 Arthur Street (Artspace building)

Doors open at 6:00 PM. Come early and see some art from the Push Pedal Stride Art Show in the lobby.

Info (tickets, film info, bike valet, etc)

BttF membership

Members of Bike to the Future agree with our mission and vision and support it. We are a volunteer-run, incorporated, non-profit organization that is only as strong as our membership. Please show your support for our work by becoming a member or renewing your membership.

Get Involved

Our website at biketothefuture.org is updated often.